Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chipped Xbox questions

Lo all

Im getting my xbox chipped next week and i would like to ask a few questions.

1) I am getting an XEcutor 2 chip installed without a switch for xbox live. Can i get the switch installed at a later date?

2) Upgrading the harddisk, can i just put any harddisk in up to 120 meg?

3) i want to play divx films on my xbox. what do i need to do this?

4) what emulators are available for the xbox and where can i get them? i know mame is available but what else

5) The chipped xbox will let me play import games?

6) can i play region 1 dvds on it or will i have to buy another remote from the US?

thats all i can think of at the moment

cheers

4) Final Burn is worth getting, and is excellent

5) Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRoy
      6) can i play region 1 dvds on it or will i have to buy another remote from the US?
      Yes, if you have the DVD Region X (Dongle-Free) application installed on to the hard drive - then this will enable you to play any DVD from any region . And instead, of having a remote, you use the controller. Although, I think you can use the remote as a substitute to the controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Crono
        Yes, if you have the DVD Region X (Dongle-Free) application installed on to the hard drive - then this will enable you to play any DVD from any region . And instead, of having a remote, you use the controller. Although, I think you can use the remote as a substitute to the controller.
        You can't use the remote on the latest version of DVD-X.

Comment

Can you still use the remote with the normal DVD player though, even with a chipped console with Region X on it?

Comment

I've never tried region X, but you can use the remote on the MS DVD software. I just turned the chip off and watched Animatrix, I find the MS dashboard better for playing DVD's, the only downpoint being it's single region.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzla
              I find the MS dashboard better for playing DVD's, the only downpoint being it's single region.
              You can use the Microsoft Dashboard DVD player with the dongle+remote and multiregion support by adding a patched version of the player to your hard disc and linking to it from Evo-X.

LMK if you want instructions how to do this - you need to know how to transfer files from PC->Xbox and edit the evox.ini file.

Comment

1) I am getting an XEcutor 2 chip installed without a switch for xbox live. Can i get the switch installed at a later date?
                Yes.

2) Upgrading the harddisk, can i just put any harddisk in up to 120 meg?
                Yes, I think the limit is 137GB but the nearest commonly available HD is 120GB.

3) i want to play divx films on my xbox. what do i need to do this?
                Xbox Media Player

4) what emulators are available for the xbox and where can i get them? i know mame is available but what else
                Loads of stuff - SNES, MD, NES, PS1, N64, GB, GBA, C64, Amiga, Arcade

Unfortunately most of the homebrew software for the Xbox is compiled with the Microsoft Software Development Kit (SDK) which means that the software is illegal to distribute and hence this is not the place to be requesting such files. Have a look on www.xbox-scene.com which has a wealth of information (especially the forums)

Comment

Originally posted by Tak
                  I find the MS dashboard better for playing DVD's, the only downpoint being it's single region.
                  You can use the Microsoft Dashboard DVD player with the dongle+remote and multiregion support by adding a patched version of the player to your hard disc and linking to it from Evo-X.

LMK if you want instructions how to do this - you need to know how to transfer files from PC->Xbox and edit the evox.ini file.
                  Yeah, I was going to do that but I was wary about XBox Live, won't it pick up that I've got a modded dash?

Comment

Yeah, I was going to do that but I was wary about XBox Live, won't it pick up that I've got a modded dash?
                    Nah, because the modded dash is put on another drive (preferably F which Live can't see). The files on C:\ stay intact - you have to add two unpatched dashboard files to the root of C:\. Therefore turning the switch off still brings up the unpatched dash, and the patched dash can only be loaded up with the chip on in evox. In fact, you can't even load the patched dash with the chip on because the signature of the file is different and will throw up an error.

Also, the patched dash is an old version of the dash which doesn't even have the Live software integrated.

I've had this setup for several months without a problem.

Comment

Thanks for all the help peeps
                      much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Tak
                        Nah, because the modded dash is put on another drive (preferably F which Live can't see). The files on C:\ stay intact - you have to add two unpatched dashboard files to the root of C:\. Therefore turning the switch off still brings up the unpatched dash, and the patched dash can only be loaded up with the chip on in evox. In fact, you can't even load the patched dash with the chip on because the signature of the file is different and will throw up an error.

Also, the patched dash is an old version of the dash which doesn't even have the Live software integrated.

I've had this setup for several months without a problem.
                        Damn, that's the setup I want

Is it possible to copy the current dash I've got to the F drive and patch it? What do I patch it with? DVDx1?

Comment

You can't use dvdx1 to patch it as it only patches the older dash on C:\. I'll PM you in a sec...

Comment

Tak = god

Comment

How complicated is all this. I'm about to send mine off to get it chipped with loads of emulators and Roms already on there but I know the bare minimum really about PCs and the like.

Is it relatively plug and play for using Roms?

Comment

Working...
                              X