Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motherboard Question *URGENT*

Hi,

I have the following labelled cables coming from the front of my PC case towards the motherboard but i have no ide awhere to put them, they are:

EAR (5 Seperate Pins)
    IEEE1394 (Firewire - 7 Seperate Pins)
    HT1 (2 wires with no pins)
    MIC (3 Seperate Pins)

Please try and give me some idea where to put them.

Thanks,

Darryl

Have you read the motheboard manual at all?

Comment

Yes i did, in the end i left the wires out and did everything else but it wouldn't power up ft:

Comment

Check the manufacturers site...there may just be a guide of some sort for your model, i've had to do this on various occasions

Comment

Originally posted by Rag`
          Check the manufacturers site...there may just be a guide of some sort for your model, i've had to do this on various occasions
          I'm building it myself so there is no system manufacturer.

Comment

I think Rag' was referring to the motherboard manufacturer.

Comment

I don't know if the new problem is a motherboard problem. I'm going to take it to a local computer shop tomorrow and have them build it for me.

Comment

them wires wil be for the power button, hard drive led, power led, speaker, any usb ports that might be on the case.

see if you can follow the wires back to see what there connected to on the front of the case ?

Comment

Originally posted by wod
                  them wires wil be for the power button, hard drive led, power led, speaker, any usb ports that might be on the case.

see if you can follow the wires back to see what there connected to on the front of the case ?
                  They are connected to some sort of board. I had the power switch connected fine though.

Comment

Ok, I went to your other topic, and took a look at the case. Apparently, it's got "front access USB, Mic and audio", so that's what all those pin connectors are for. Thing is, you don't need them for your PC to work fine; you simply will be unable to use the front mic or USB port if you don't connect them to the mobo.

EAR: I suppose that's to connect the front speaker port;
                    IEEE: firewire port; if you have digicam or other firewire compatible stuff, using the front port is often easier to connect ? disconnect your equipment, instead of having to use the back slots
                    HT1: Temperature controller? no idea what this is for
                    MIC: this one's for your mic port .
                    The board these are connected to controls the front access ports...

Basically, you could connect your speakers, mic & other stuff to the back ports of the mobo. The only important cables are for the power, reset, HDD led (even that's not really required I think, just a lot easier!). The others are just optional (i think).

But your PC won't start? Be sure to connect the power switch the right way (I think that's normally two tiny cables); use the text on the black ends as a guide. Also, be sure to have some cooler pasta between the CPU & the cooler! And make sure it's all well put together; it the cooler (heatsink) & CPU don't make contact, you might fry it... I almost did that once

Perhaps all is already solved; but good luck anyway!

Comment

I managed to get it to power up but it only does so for 5 seconds

The PSU and CPU fans spin and and then it turns itself off, it doesn't show anything on the monitor either, this is without any HDs or CD drives in there. I've tried moving the ram, removing the video card, re inserting the cpu but always the same result

Comment

Hmm, be careful there... I hope you didn't try to turn on your PC too much! Because the problem you describe makes me think it's a badly placed CPU fan. I've had the same problem, and my PC shut itself off after 5 secs to 1 min (luckily, otherwise I'd have my CPU fried).

Here's how to do it: first, put some cooler paste (e.g. Arctic Silver; a little will do; I hope you have some?) on the CPU core. You can spread it evenly using a toothpick or something like that. Apparently, a pad is provided to put between the CPU & the fan? I'm not sure, but if you can, go to the computer shop & buy some thermal grease (cooler paste). It costs almost nothing and will last you a lifetime...
                        Then, put the CPU in its socket on the mobo. And now comes the hardest part: attaching the heatsink&fan. The fan can only be mounted correctly in one way: look at the bottom, you should see its asymmetry. It's easier to do when the mobo's not in the case yet, but watch out for static electricity and the like. If you do that, you should have no problems.

On the other hand, if you keep having problems, you could ask someone with experience to show it (provided you're interested in that stuff ). It might teach you more than me posting here
                        But if you want to continue yourself: This page (and other pages on that site) might provide you with some visual aid. A picture vs. thousand words, etc.

Good luck!

Comment

I'm going to take it all to a local PC shop and have them build it, i'm terrible with small things like glue etc so i'm not going to risk messing it up incase it needs returning.

Comment

Perhaps a sensible decision It'll cost you, but probably less than having to buy a new CPU or the like... I persevered, at the cost of a light burnt smell in my case during the first couple of weeks the most irritating part is inserting all those little connectors imo...

Anyway, I hope everything will work out, and enjoy your new PC!

Comment

Working...
                            X