XBox HDD - 7200rpm or 5400rpm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XBox HDD - 7200rpm or 5400rpm?

Mate wants to chip his XBox and upgrade the HDD to an 80/120 gig one. I've already got mine done with a 5400 rpm HDD because of potential overheating issues.

Question:

Is there any real issue with getting a 7200 rpm HDD as opposed to a 5400 rpm one? I hear that the faster HDD can overheat? Is this true?

He plays for reasonably long periods at a time (2 hours or so).

Can anyone recommend a good cheapish HDD then?

Thanks

Discover the latest products from the biggest names in tech at EE Store. Find deals and offers on gaming, laptops, TVs, home phones, smart home systems and more

I have that one, 120 gigs 5400RPM, runs nice. Not very loud and temperature is good too.

Comment

From what I heard, the hard disc controller can't use 7200 rpm to it's full speed, so go for a cheaper 5400 which also runs cooler and makes less sound.

Comment

Yep, the speed difference is negligible and a 5400 drive runs considerably cooler and quieter.

Best drives for the Xbox are the Samsung Spinpoint V series - as Olympichero mentioned. These are also lockable for Xbox Live.

Avoid the Maxtor 5400 drives as many of them are not lockable hence Live won't work.

Comment

Cheers guys.

He's going to buy the Samsung one suggested.

I've got a Maxtor and that is locked.

Not fussed about Live anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X