Megadrive Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megadrive Problem

I picked up an asian Pal Megadrive yesterday at a market. Basically my problem is that when I tried some games with it all I got was a black (occasionally white) flickering screen. Is there any way to fix this? Also I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a problem with the wire connecting the MD to my TV or a problem with the MD itself. Thanks

Are you connecting via an RF lead? This is the one that plugs into the TV's aerial socket. Also, is it an MD1 or a newer MD2?

Comment

Yeah, I'm using an RF lead. It's a MD1

Comment

The lead is probably b0rked.

1) Does the lead come from the console itself (i.e. it's a mod) or does it fit into the connector at the back?
        2)Can you try a composite or RGB lead with it?

Comment

I've had only had that problem when the RF modulator inside the Megadrive is knackered. If the RF cable is faulty then you'll usually just get a fuzzy picture or if damaged badly enough then just fuzz and no picture at all.

Either way you should be using an RGB cable with a Megadrive anyway for best results.

Comment

That's where I was going. If you need an RGB lead (and you really ought to get one), VGI do them. Also, you really should get the machine modded with a 50/60hz switch to get the most out of your games (and a PAL MD will only output RGB when in NTSC anyway).

Yod@ on these forums does MD mods at very reasonable rates. Hope that's useful

Comment

Originally posted by Treble
              That's where I was going. If you need an RGB lead (and you really ought to get one), VGI do them. Also, you really should get the machine modded with a 50/60hz switch to get the most out of your games (and a PAL MD will only output RGB when in NTSC anyway).
              A standard 50hz PAL MD will output RGB fine. Well, my official one does anyway.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's only composite, mate. When I switch from 50-60hz on mine, the difference is startling. There's colour bleed in 50, and a sharp, high-contrast picture in 60. This is the same on all the MDs I've modded and tested. Bear in mind, just because you get a picture through a SCART lead, doesn't automatically mean it's RGB.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the advice. I haven't got any other MD1 wires to check with it. If the RF modulator is messed up would an RGB cable work ok? I'll probably buy an RGB cable to see if that works I just wanted to be fairly sure that I wasnt wasting my money buying new cables when it was the console that was broken.

Comment

No, it'll be fine. As long as we diagnosed the problem correctly, that is
                    Still, either way and even if your machine needs repair, you ought to have an RGB lead, and also get the 50/60hz switch fitted.

Buy the lead first and check it out, and let us know how it goes.

Comment

Ok thanks. How much would an asian megadrive cost anyway? Cos I got that one for 10 euros and if they go cheap on ebay I'd probably just save myself the hassle and buy another(working) one.

Comment

Pretty cheap, I guess. You mean Japanese, right? Should be cheap. Check completed sales on eBay for prices. To make sure all your PAL games will play, though, I'd recommend you still get a 50/60hz switch, but also a region switch too. This mod is very easy and most people will do it cheaply for you.

I have a Japanese MD, and certain PAL games you need to boot in PAL 50hz and then, once the game gets past the SEGA logo, flick it into 60hz. Otherwise you get a message saying it's not intended for that region. Anyway, as I say, simple and cheap mod. Recommended.

BTW, welcome to the forums

Comment

You mean Japanese, right?
                          I'm not too well up on megadrives , but as far as i can gather this is a pal megadrive from Hong Kong or something.

BTW, welcome to the forums
                          Thanks a lot.

Comment

best thing to do is check if it works.

You can do this by plugging the MD in, inserting the cartridge and plugging some headphones into the headphone jack. Then wait to see if you hear any music (pressing Start a lot helps too).

If no joy then check to see if the cartridge port or the cartridges are dirty, clean carts with a cotton bud soaked in tape cleaning fluid or iso alcohol. Get a thin piece of card, soak the bottom of it in tape cleaning fluid or iso alcohol and insert this in and out of the cartridge port, that should clean the cartridge port.

Try again, if still nothing then it's probably dead. Keep the case, and get a UK Megadrive (they are very cheap) and swap the boards over and convert the MD to 60Hz and Jap and get yourself an RGB cable.

Best to do this first before spending money on cables you may not need...

Comment

Thanks for the tip MD. I just tried that and the noise through the earphones was the same buzzing noise that was accompanying the flickering screen when i connected it to my TV. Guess the consoles screwed so. I'm gonna do what you said about getting a uk megadrive since they're all over the place here for peanuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X