Repairing a broken Playstation...(more) help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing a broken Playstation...(more) help needed

It's a very simple problem, but I don't know the best way to solve it.

Basically, the spindle that holds the CD in place has snapped off and is now lost. I know the console works absolutely fine after all this time though, as I have got it to work by putting a bit of blu-tac over the centre and using that to hold the CD down 8) This doesn't work every time though and is very fiddly, so it's certainly not a permanent measure.

I can get hold of a 2nd hand unit for about ?10. If I did, would I be able to just replace the spindle, or would I have to replace the whole drive unit? And would there be a problem in replacing drives if the model numbers were different?

Cheers

You should be able to replace the whole drive unit - it's not worth fidding about. The unit has 1 ribbon connector + power connector. Simply unplug and replace.

Comment

May I recommend:

As they are selling the spndle unit sepratly, I'd assume it can be replaced atomically.

Comment

Thanks. Saurian, I just took the PSX case off to look at how it was connected. It seems simple enough, and is just 2 cables like you said. I'll buy a 2nd console tomorrow and switch them over.

Thanks for the link superkully, but it's not there I had a look in the catalogue though and found it eventually. It's ?8 (any postage on top of that), so I might as well buy another console for ?2 more. That way, if anything else breaks I'll have a replacement at hand.

Cheers guys

Comment

Ok I eventually got the spare console and have hit a bit of a stumbling block The new console doesn't load discs at all

So is there any way I can remove the CD spindle from the new PS and put it on my old one I've tried but can't seem to get it off. I don't want to force it, since it seems pretty fragile

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X