Windows Shares in Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Shares in Ubuntu

I'm still determined to get into this damn Linux thing. I'm considering wiping XP from my secondary machine (primarily used for chat, net surfing, downloading etc) and installing Ubuntu.

However, this machine stores much of my media. I need to not only be able to share this media with other computers in the house (on XP and Vista), but also be able to access files shared on other machines, on this machine.

Can someone explain an easy way to do this?

If you've done a standard desktop install of Ubuntu, if memory serves it pre-installs the necessary software to allow you to collect to Windows shares. You'll be looking for a Samba (Or SMB, maybe CIFS) client - although I think Ubuntu might have labelled it something a little more obvious, I haven't messed with it for a while.

You should also be able to use the following command from the 'run' dialog:

smb://computername/sharename

Obviously you'll need to be able to resolve the computer name (Make sure you have DNS setup, or you have a corresponding entry in /etc/hosts) or alternatively, you can substitute the IP address for the computer name.

Comment

Try installing SWAT if you can't get it working using the Ubuntu tools.
      It is a web GUI for Samba admin. Once installed in a browser goto http://your pc ip:901
      Your Samba users are not necessarily your Ubuntu users and vice-versa
      As you will probably be in a workgroup make sure that user accounts and passwords are identical on all machines.

Comment

Working...
      X