Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good xbox controller for emulators

Hi,

I was wondering which controller people are using to play emulator games. I'm a big fan of 2d beat em ups on the neo geo but the x-box controller is useless for them!

Any suggestions?

It depends whether you like to use a pad or a stick.

You can get a MagicBox convertor and use a Saturn pad if jopads are your thing or you can use the same convertor and a HORI Saturn arcade stick (Sticks for PSone/2 just don't work due to custom PCB in the stick).

If you're feeling flush you could also try the HORI Fighting Stick EX, which is a proper Xbox stick:

Comment

I have a dreambox and Hori PS2 Soul Calibur stick which works perfectly and is great for Final Burn Alpha. All the Sf games etc. work very well with it

Comment

I'm more of a pad man. Thanks, I'll check out this magibox converter (any idea where I can get that and some saturn pads?)

Comment

Originally posted by Burai
          You can get a MagicBox convertor and use a Saturn pad if jopads are your thing or you can use the same convertor and a HORI Saturn arcade stick (Sticks for PSone/2 just don't work due to custom PCB in the stick).
          Sorry to go OT - but do you know if standard digital PSone pads will work OK with the MagicBox converter, Burai?

Comment

They do.

The problem with most arcade sticks is that they don't contain a standard controller PCB. They use a custom PCB and when you connect them up, it confuses the hell out of the convertor.

The thing it normally does is rapidly push Up,Right and A and numerous peeps have lost half of their Xbox game saves because the stick has gone into the memory management screen all by itself and deleted everything.

The Saturn sticks don't suffer from this, so they are a good choice to go for. A lot of cheap 3rd party sticks don't suffer from it either, such as those ones from Gamester.

Digital PSone pads work fine as do most other controllers. It's just the arcade sticks from Hori and ASCII you need to worry about.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info.

I've already gutted my sticks and used the electronics from official Sony digital pads because I had the same sort of problems with "button ghosting" with other adapters. So they should all work with a MagicBox then.

Comment

Originally posted by Burai
                If you're feeling flush you could also try the HORI Fighting Stick EX, which is a proper Xbox stick:

This is definately the way to go for Xbox emus, the stick is perfect for beat em ups and schmups.

Comment

Working...
                X