Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Networking

Eh up folks,

Seriously considering splashing out on some Wireless network action. Can't decide on 11mbs, 22mbs or 54g. I am thinking 11 simply because I don't think I do enough traffic internally to warrent splashing out on something useless.

Anyone got it, any advice on kit etc?

I setup an 11meg for my mate and for my dad, for general faffing about I didn't notice much difference from my 100meg network here to be honest (clearly with the exception of shifting large files).

No idea what the ping is sorry, didn't occur to me to check because they're not into gaming.

My mate plumped for Netgear stuff but my dad was happy with the (cheaper) Belkin kit which worked just as well tbh.

Comment

I have a sweet wireless network at home and it's well worth it.

I use a mixture of kit which all works pretty well although range can still be an issue as it's still a fairly new technology.

I use:

Netgear DG814 Router (No wireless included, there is a new one with wireless included but a little unstable!)

Buffalo Airstation with external antenna.
      2 x Buffalo Ethernet Converters (These convert Cat 5 patch leads to wireless and work perfectly with Xbox and PS2)

If you need to know any specifics drop me a PM.

Comment

I have a sweet wireless network at home and it's well worth it.

I use a mixture of kit which all works pretty well although range can still be an issue as it's still a fairly new technology.

I use:

Netgear DG814 Router (No wireless included, there is a new one with wireless included but a little unstable!)

Buffalo Airstation with external antenna.
        2 x Buffalo Ethernet Converters (These convert Cat 5 patch leads to wireless and work perfectly with Xbox and PS2)

If you need to know any specifics drop me a PM.

Comment

I've done some more digging, and the difference in price between 11 and 54g is minimal. And I discovered 54g to be a real standard so I am gonna plump for the Belkin kit, which is backwards compat to 802.11b so built in Lappys will work too.

Still a burn though.

Comment

Working...
          X