This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLEASE CLOSE

I'm currently running windows 98 (not SE) and want to install XP, now when I try and install XP it gets a few steps into it then goes on about advising me not to have multiple operating systems running at once etc etc. So how do I get rid of 98 (without losing my files and stuff) and install XP?

cheers,

Shenbop

When you insert the XP disc there should be the option to choose which drive you want to install it on. Then you can pick C, and format the drive basically wiping all the data off it. From there on you should be able to install XP. Obviously be careful if there are any files you want to keep, as once formatted you aint getting that data back...

Comment

Does it get rid of EVERYTHING? like microsoft office et al or just stuff like word documents etc? is there no way of doing it without reformatting?

Comment

You should be able to just install XP over 98. I've done it once.

Comment

I'm a complete idiot, the reason I was doing this was that I needed windows 98 SE or above to get broadband, I thought I only had the original windows 98 so all day i've been searching for ways to install an updates OS cause I kept getting errors and now I eventually find that I do have 98 SE but that it doesn't make that fact obvious to me so I had to go searching in properties etc etc, anyway thanks for your help people but I don't need to do anything now, except return XP!

Broadband on it's way

This can be closed I suppose.

Comment

Working...
          X