Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a laptop HDD converter on a desktop PC.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a laptop HDD converter on a desktop PC.

Ok, I have a small problem.

I have a Toshiba MK8026GAX with a laptop that's died on it, and I want to recover the data off it.

I can't find a list on the net of what all of the pins are for this particular hard drive so i'm not going to go plugging this ribbon cable directly into it and blow the drive up.

It's just one of those, going into a cable that's plugged into my motherboard.

Wherever it fits on the HDD, there are always 4 pins not connected to anything. It fits loosely on the pins to start, but there are a group of pins that the adapter perfectly fits, then a gap, then another 4 pins.

Is this correct? Have I bought the right cable? Arrgh!

yeah. just make sure you line up the pinky end wire (NOT the red one next to the black one, those are 5v and ground!) with pin 1 on the hdd.

here's a nice diagram i just found when googling:

notice the red/black wire combo connects to the outside edge of the set of pins.

the four pins on their own are for jumper settings like on a big man hdd (master/slave)

i just realised while typing that this is 12 days old, so i'm assuming you actually sussed it out in the meantime

Comment

Working...
    X