Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITunes issues, missing music and library conflicts

Yo all,

I figured I need to sort this out, im getting tired of avoiding my brother as every time I see him he looks to me to fix his Itunes problem and I have no idea what he has done to mess it up so much.

He originally had the old style Nano and bought a load of music off ITunes and ripped a load of his cd's, he then bought one of the new Nano's and everything seemed to work fine but the other week he saw some message on ITunes that the library wasn't associated with the IPod (somethig like this) and everything that was ripped from cd and bought from ITunes has disapeared from the computer and all the playlists gone, all apart from what was still on the IPod itself.

Its tiresome sometimes when your the go to guy in the family for computer problems, I must have gone over the procedure of unzipping files with my father about 20 times and he still asks me for help each time

If anyones had a similar issue with ITunes can you let me know what you did to fix it?

Cheers muchly

Mike

Perhaps not exactly the same thing (sorry if the reply raised your hopes), but last night I finally gave up trying to sort my itunes library out and moved away from it. It annoys the hell out of me that there's no 'audit' option to see if music is missing or moved. I recently had a hard drive die, but itunes still shows all of the entries there, and there's no automated way of removing them. It's still on my computer 'for emergencies', but it's no longer my media player.

It's odd in your case though that the files on the computer itself aren't showing any more, are they actually there if he looks via a file explorer?

Comment

Originally posted by babs View Post
      Perhaps not exactly the same thing (sorry if the reply raised your hopes), but last night I finally gave up trying to sort my itunes library out and moved away from it. It annoys the hell out of me that there's no 'audit' option to see if music is missing or moved. I recently had a hard drive die, but itunes still shows all of the entries there, and there's no automated way of removing them. It's still on my computer 'for emergencies', but it's no longer my media player.

It's odd in your case though that the files on the computer itself aren't showing any more, are they actually there if he looks via a file explorer?
      Thats the thing, I checked through the file explorer and they are gone, it really doesn't make any sense to me at all how it happened.

Also I agree with you on the audit feature, my ITunes is a mess, they really should have an audit feature.

Comment

clutching at straws here as i've been using itunes for just over 2 years now (when i got my first ipod) and have never had a problem with it at all regarding missing music and the like. have you tried the 'consolidate library' option? go to 'Advanced' and then the consolidate option will be there.

Also, have you checked what folder iTunes is using for its music library? pop into Preferences, the the Advanced tab.

Also, what about a good old-fashioned search for the files (have a look at a random song on the ipod and get windows to search for it. Make sure you put the artist/song name in the 'search within a file' section, not the filename) to see if they've just been moved (or put in the recycle bin - when iTunes deletes files it sends them there, doesn't properly delete them)

I'm not trying to be patronising or anything, as you've mentioned you're the go-to guy so I'm not speaking as though you're a beginner, it's just these are what's popping into my head right now

Comment

Working...
        X