Messiah 2 vs DMS3 V2.0 ModChips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messiah 2 vs DMS3 V2.0 ModChips

Mate has asked about this and which is better.

Have to say that I have never heard of the DMS so I'll throw it open to the real experts.

As far as I can see, they are fairly equivalent as far as features go, except for the fact that DMS makes the DVD region free. However, it seems that the compatibility of DMS isn't as good as Messiah 2, so you are more likely to have problems.

I'm sure that Saurian and co have a far better answer for you though!

Comment

they are both the same but dms3 has these features over messiah2

- DVD Video Mode:
      Play all region DVD movies without Macrovision, RGB(Green-Screen) fixed.

- Dev.olution Mode:
      Boot applications such as the PS2reality Media Player from memory card as soon as the system starts up.

- Firmware Upgrade via CDR:
      Upgrade your chip to the latest firmware by simply sticking a CDR with the upgrade on it into your PS2. No need to remove/replace your chip to get the latest updates. Write protection for Firmware Flash so it's impossible for a chip to be completely erased by rogue code or power-loss during upgrade.

dms3 is the more functional mod for ps2 but the messiah 2 is the most used because of its reliablity

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono
        Mate has asked about this and which is better.

Have to say that I have never heard of the DMS so I'll throw it open to the real experts.
        DMS3...

- Slightly trickier install, as it patches a lot more data than the Messiah 2, meaning that wire placement during the install is critical to prevent signal interference and malfunction.

- More expensive mod than the Messiah 2, making the overall cost of thie install higher.

- I'm not convinced that the code is as stable on everything other than V7 or V8 consoles. On those machines, though, it's fine.

- Multiregion DVD and Macrovision removal are nice features but the PS2 is a weak DVD player in my opinion, so only really useful if you use your PS2 as your main DVD player.

- The ability to flash the DMS3 with new code via CD-R is a good feature, definitely.

- The Dev-olution mode is nice, as there are some interesting homebrew projects going on for PS2, but still the Xbox is the best for non-gaming applications - there's almost nothing you can't do on a modded Xbox these days.

In summary, the DMS3 is a brilliant piece of design, but at the extra cost it doesn't really offer any significant advantages to the gamer over a Messiah 2 - the boot selection method via the joypad is nice, but a luxury rather than a breakthrough, as it were. It's ideally suited to those with V7 or V8 machines, and for those who like having every possible feature regardless of cost.

Messiah 2....

- Completely reliable piece of code - it avoids all the issues that all the cheap Magic and clone chips fall down on, such as DVD-9 discs, overheating, and multiple media checks as seen in games like Splinter Cell.

- Value for money. At the right price, the Messiah 2 is excellent value - it consistently loads discs from all regions, has 100% reliability and is a very well made mod. I've yet to have one Messiah 2 fail at any time after installation. I've even seen some terrible install attempts still work as they should.

- The design of the Messiah 2 is very console friendly - it runs at 3.3v, not 5v like the Magic and clone mods do, and if installed correctly, it can be completely removed without damaging the PS2 at all. Some of the first PS2 mods required tracks to cut on the motherboard, and components to be removed.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Cheers guys.

I've pointed him to this thread and he's had a good read.

I've also recommended Will so we'll see.

Comment

Working...
          X