Japanese PS2 plays PAL DVDs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese PS2 plays PAL DVDs?

OK, after selling my PAL PS2 a while back I'm after getting a new one for Winning Eleven 7 as the chances of it coming to Gamecube are pretty slim. I'm not really interested in patches so could live happily with an unmodded Japanese machine, but would it play PAL DVDs? I know Japan and Europe are both region 2, but Japan uses NTSC and Europe uses PAL so would this mean PAL DVDs won't play? Or would I just need an RGB SCART cable, since all PlayStation 2 hardware is supposed to be identical apart from terrortorial lockout??
    Thanks.

It wont play PAL DVDs - there may be a DVDX style boot disk to allow it but I'm unsure. Why not get a Messiah2 modded PAL machine?

Comment

Yeah I'm considering it but I'm a bit skint right now. Maybe in a few weeks.

Comment

there is no reason why it shouldn't as it is Region 2.

there may be an issue with the pal / ntsc though. the pic might be unstable.

Comment

It's the video region which is not supported not the disk region.

Comment

i take it jap machines are pure ntsc unlike the uk ones?

Comment

Originally posted by beecee
              i take it jap machines are pure ntsc unlike the uk ones?
              It was mentioned on here a few weeks back (by Papercut I thnk) that the JPN PS2 doesn't have enough Video RAM needed to display the extra lines that a PAL disc would display.

Comment

Message from the "testcenter": It?s not working.

Comment

Yeah, I did a little research into this and apparently there is no way in the world to get a Japanese PS2 to play PAL DVDs. It is completely impossible.

Comment

Not even the early ones that let you enter a key combination to play all-region DVD's?

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Boogaloo
                      Not even the early ones that let you enter a key combination to play all-region DVD's?
                      No because it's not due to region lock.

It's a video display issue. PAL has more lines so needs more video RAM which the JPN machines lack.

Comment

Working...
                      X