Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disable automatic hardware installation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disable automatic hardware installation?

My onboard graphics card keeps trying to install itself everytime I boot up which causes conflicts with my newer graphics card, resulting in many screen blinks, graphic errors and just poor performance. My BIOS is unique, was made for TIME Computers (*****) apparently and has no way of disabling onboard graphics. There are no updated BIOS' either ft:

Does anyone know how to stop automatic hardware installation for Windows 2000?

Cheers

Adam

Let it install.
    Go to device manager.
    Find the onboard display adapter
    Right click/properties.
    At the bottom of the first tab "Device Usage".
    Set to Disabled.
    Reboot.

Comment

I see the device usage bit but it's greyed out and I can't choose anything

Comment

Motherboards used to have switches on them to disable onboard GFX adaptors, check your manual as yours might have one as well.

Comment

or in the bios u should be able to configure it from there

Comment

I checked out the motherboard + manual but it wasn't much help (no switches) and oracle I already said that the bios has no options to disable onboard graphics, it's a Time Computer init Oh well, I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks

Comment

You could always locate the gfx chipset, and carefully prise the chip(s) off the board.

If you are a crazy person

Comment

Originally posted by Adam
                I see the device usage bit but it's greyed out and I can't choose anything
                What you mean? What's greyed out? Are you not an administrator of the PC or summat?

Comment

sorry didnt read that section of the post,

id be suprised if you cant remove it try using an admin acount to disable it

Comment

I am the primary user for the computer so I have full admin access. After tinkering about, it appears that I could only disable it from hardware manager when there is a fault detected (which happens when I assign the device a proper driver) but even when disabled it still caused problems. I think I sorted it now though, I must have installed the detonator drivers when I had antivirus software running as I just wiped my PC free from anything nvidia and then reinstalled fresh drivers (with antivirus disabled) and the problem seems to have gone.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                    X