Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My xbox has died... help?

Hi All

My chipped xbox, with a replacement PSU (madcow IIRC) has 'died'. Basically, it was working fine saturday morning, then sunday morning I go to switch it on and nothing happens.

Basically when I press the power or eject buttons, if I listen very carefully I hear about 2-3 seconds of something happening inside the xbox, before it goes completely dead again, but no lights come on or anything like that.

I know it's a long shot, but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

Mike

PS I have checked all the connections several times, and tried it with the chip on and off.

It doesnt 'beep' or anything before it shuts down?

If so that indicates that a point or points are not contacting between the modchip in motherboard. Get the installer to check it over for you - it shouldnt be anything major.

Edit: You tried it with the chip on and off? Possibly something shorting on the inside - best thing to do is to remove the HDD/DVD assembly and check everything over.

Another possibility is a faulty PSU - if you are not getting an error light/beep/error message it seems possible.

Comment

Yep, it's totally dead. No lights come on, when I press the on switch I just hear a very faint noise somewhere inside for a couple of seconds before it goes quiet again.

The worst bit is I need to post it back from the US to the UK to get it looked at!

Second worst - KOTOR is stuck in the disc drive and I can't rescue it!

I hope it's just a dodgy psu..

Comment

Originally posted by Mike UK
        Yep, it's totally dead. No lights come on, when I press the on switch I just hear a very faint noise somewhere inside for a couple of seconds before it goes quiet again.

The worst bit is I need to post it back from the US to the UK to get it looked at!

I hope it's just a dodgy psu..
        I reckon it's a faulty PSU - those 3rd party ones are of varying quality. You can buy a replacement PSU from Lik Sang they are not hard to fit.

Comment

there is a small hole below the drive, looks like the standard stick a pin in and it will eject, although i haven't tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by beecee
            there is a small hole below the drive, looks like the standard stick a pin in and it will eject, although i haven't tried it.
            I'll have a look for that tonight - in case I have to send it off for repair - thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
              I reckon it's a faulty PSU - those 3rd party ones are of varying quality. You can buy a replacement PSU from Lik Sang they are not hard to fit.
              Thanks for that - I hope so. I've got a new one on the way just in case.

If you know of any FAQ's or have a link to what I need to do to replace the PSU, I'd appreciate it! (Will be checking xbox scene shortly)..

Comment

firstly m8, there are only 2 screws that hold the power supply in place, the board unscrews then slides free of the plastic edging so it can be removed.

Like Saur has already said, it definately sounds like a PSU fault, i bought a faulty one on the forums here (just ?50 delivered) with the exact same symptoms(sp) - opened it up and one of the 2 screws were missing - now it is absolutely vital that both the screws are in place and are nice and tight (dot excessively tho) - on the underside of the board under these 2 screws is the earth shilelding. When the 2 screws are fitted they hold the board in place and also use the shilelding to complete part of the circuit on the PSU itself. This is all that was wrong with the xbox i bought here - replaced the missing screw, and its worked ever since. If your xbox has already had the PSU replaced then this could well be the problem, if however both screws are there and the board is sat perfectly flat (i.e not incorrectly positioned and one side of it sat on the black edging) - then like Saur says the PSU most proberly is duff. There is a fuse on the PSU which may have blown also.

I may make it sound complicated but honestly its as easy an electronic job as ever there was, replacing a PSU, just open the box up and unplug the DVD drive, then the hard drive - remove both of them to get access to the PSU (on the right as you look) - once you open it up and get access to the PSU you will see how easy and straight forward it is. -

Just be careful and make sure that the xbox aint plugged in when taking it apart (obviously), oh and take a look at xbox scene - im sure they will have a tutorial in there somwhere with some pics......

GL

Comment

Thanks Youwin - it's (very) good to hear it's a simple job. I now have hope that I may be able to fix it myself!

Anyway, I really do hope it's the PSU, I'd hate to start KOTOR again. And, the 120 gig hard drive is locked, so apparently I wouldn't be able to install it in another xbox.

Will post back when I get the replacement psu - hopefully with good news!!

Cheers

Mike

Comment

It's a forum good news story!

I got my replacement PSU (big shout to premodded.co.uk's warranty service - NM shipped it to the US for me!), fitted it last night with the assistance of a toolkit and some household cutlery (long story), and it works again!

Thanks very much for all the advice guys - it was much appreciated. And I'm dead chuffed to be playing KOTOR again.

Comment

good stuff mike

houshold cutlery ........???

now stop readin this and get back to kotor

8)

Comment

It's a forum good news story!

I got my replacement PSU (big shout to premodded.co.uk's warranty service - NM shipped it to the US for me!), fitted it last night with the assistance of a toolkit and some household cutlery (long story), and it works again!

Thanks very much for all the advice guys - it was much appreciated. And I'm dead chuffed to be playing KOTOR again.

glad you sorted it out

Comment

Working...
                        X