Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PAL Dreamcast - which games are 50hz only/ have no VGA support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAL Dreamcast - which games are 50hz only/ have no VGA support?

Hi Everyone,
    I have been slowly replacing my entire colection of games with NTSC versions where necessary - im already half way there with my N64 and Gamecube, and now my attention has switched to the Dreamcast.

My entire Dreamcast collection is currently PAL only, but I know that many PAL Dreamcast games have a 60hz mode and VGA support - so really I guess there is no need to re-buy them as NTSC?

So my question is - which games are 50hz only?

So far I have found a short list from here:-

Aero Wings
    Aero Wings 2: Air Strike
    Bust A Move 4
    Conflict Zone
    Dino Crisis
    Dynamite Cop
    Evil Twin Cyprien’s Chronicles
    Flogian Brothers: episode one
    Grandia 2
    Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    Maken X
    Pen Pen Triicelon
    Power Stone
    Resident Evil Code: Veronica
    Sega Rally 2
    Skies of Arcadia
    Spawn in the Demon Hand
    Spiderman
    Star Wars: Episode 1 Jedi Power Battles
    Super Magnetic Neo
    The Next Tetris
    Tokyo Highway Challenge 2
    Virtua Fighters 3 Team Battle
    Zombie Revenge

But I have no idea how complete that list is, does anybody know of any other titles?

Also, im curious to know what happens if I use the region changer disk mod to change my Dreamcast to accept PAL region games, but output NTSC - does this force all/most of these games into 60hz? (eg PAL Power Stone) even though it doesnt allow you to choose in-game?
    ....and does this mod cause PAL Dreamcast games with the 50/60hz selection screen to skip it? (eg Defaulting to 60hz) Or do you still have to select 60hz?

Lastly, and most importantly, what games are missing VGA support in the PAL version, but had it in the NTSC version? (eg PAL Skies of Arcadia)

Basically as you can tell im just trying to work out which games I should bother to replace with NTSC versions.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Link83; 16-05-2008, 18:48.

Buggy Heat might be 50hz only, can't quite remember. Grandia 2 is 50hz only for standard tv output, but still has VGA support.

Comment

I seem to remember Bangai-o not supporting vga (but I think it supported both 50 & 60hz).
      Last edited by tom-nook; 16-05-2008, 19:04.

Comment

Ahh crap, I just bought RE:CV, didn't know it was only in 50Hz

Comment

There was a time when i knew all this, seems so long ago . Honeymustard, you can run RE:CV in 60hz if you boot it with a codebreaker if I remember correctly, not 100% sure but give it a try if you have one.

Comment

Originally posted by Link83 View Post
            Sega Rally 2
            Tokyo Highway Challenge 2
            Both of these are 60hz.

Comment

PAL Sega Rally 2 I could've SWORN was 50hz only.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvergun X View Post
                PAL Sega Rally 2 I could've SWORN was 50hz only.
                It is.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, so that list is pretty complete then? (Maybe just missing Buggy Heat)

...and does the NTSC Bangai-o have VGA support?
                  Im curious to know what PAL games had VGA support removed you see. I know Skies of Arcadia is one of them, but are there any others?

Also, Honeymustard - RE Code Veronica can be forced into 60hz. According to that FAQ I linked to these are the only games that cant be forced into 60hz:-

Conflict Zone
                  Dynamite Cop
                  Maken X
                  Pen Pen Triicelon
                  Skies of Arcadia

Perhaps these are the only games that dont support VGA aswell?
                  Last edited by Link83; 17-05-2008, 21:32.

Comment

If you want an NTSC list, there is one here:
                    While VGA mode is supported by most every Dreamcast games, there are a few that do not support it. Some of the non-VGA games can be patched to be used with a Dreamcast VGA cable by making some quick modifications to the ripped game’s CDI file. You can also get a full-featured Dreamcast VGA Box …

Although it has no mention of Vampire Chronicle for Matching Service, which is only VGA compatable after re-burning the disc with a patch applied.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                      Both of these are 60hz.
                      I know that SR2 isn't 60hz and I'm pretty sure I remember Tokyo Highway 2 being 50hz only as I got it a few years back and - as it was a later DC PAL game - I expected it to be 60. It wasn't, and it peed me off a bit.

I'm also pretty certain both PAL Tony Hawk's are 50Hz only, too.

Comment

...and does the NTSC Bangai-o have VGA support?
                        According to this (old ntsc-uk) thread is doesn't :

Having a look around a few other sites it seems some incompatible games can be patched or forced into vga but Bangai-o is one that can't.....

Comment

I'm playing Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and it didn't give me the option to display in 60Hz... doesn't appear to be in the options menu either.

Edit: actually that's probably because I'm playing the NTSC version on a PAL system
                          Last edited by honeymustard; 18-05-2008, 10:24.

Comment

Tokyo Highway Challenge 1 is odd. If you play it in RGB (and I think it has to be RGB) it is 50hz only, until you've had one race, as soon as it goes back out into the menu, it jumps in to 60hz (automatically).

Tokyo Highway Challenge 2 is 60hz (again can't remember if it's by selection or just automatic on boot up so long as you're in RGB)

Tony Hawk automatically detects 60hz, as does Tony Hawk 2 I believe, but again they don't give you a frequency select screen. I can confirm that they do both run in 60hz though.

honeymustard, yeah MvC2 has a 60hz option on PAL.

Comment

Also, im curious to know what happens if I use the region changer disk mod to change my Dreamcast to accept PAL region games, but output NTSC - does this force all/most of these games into 60hz? (eg PAL Power Stone) even though it doesnt allow you to choose in-game?
                              ....and does this mod cause PAL Dreamcast games with the 50/60hz selection screen to skip it? (eg Defaulting to 60hz) Or do you still have to select 60hz?
                              Just thought id answer my own question for the benefit of any future readers!
                              I have just performed the 'region changer' mod on my Dreamcast - I left the region as PAL but set the video output to NTSC, and now almost all my PAL games play in 60hz by default!

When this is done PAL games that used to let you choose the refresh rate now skip that screen but are still in 60hz, and many PAL games that were 50hz only (Such as Power Stone, Sega Rally 2, Virtua Fighter 3tb etc) are also forced into 60hz as standard - guess the developers were simply to lazy to add the refresh rate option

This mod is well worth doing if you can do it, heres a guide:-

Although I have read over at DCemulation that you should either disconnect it after you have made the change, or fit a switch to choose when to change the region, as some titles (mainly Japanese titles by the sound of it) try to write to the flash rom, and if the two points are still linked they can accidentally write over the Region Settings in the flash - meaning your Dreamcast wont even boot up anymore.

Im now beginning to think that the only PAL games that had VGA support removed are:-

Conflict Zone
                              Dynamite Cop
                              Maken X
                              Pen Pen Triicelon
                              Skies of Arcadia

Only by the very fact that they are the only 50hz titles that cant be forced into 60hz (Although the only one I can confirm for sure is Skies of Arcadia) If anybody has any of the other games and a VGA box it would be great to get this theory confirmed
                              Last edited by Link83; 26-05-2008, 01:27.

Comment

Working...
                              X