Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Postage rates from Japan.. help!

Hi there,

Just today I bought a Sega GG boxset off ebay for a reasonable sum.

The guy contacted me, and he wants ?15 for delivery via EMS Is this reasonable? I would have thought that the box set wouldnt have weighed that much, due to there only being a t shirt, badges etc in there

Apparantly the only other way he can send it is via surface mail (2-3 months delivery, not insured), for 8 pounds.

Anyone have any help?

I can't be any specific help i'm afraid, but why can't he send it the same method Tokuda uses when not sending stuff EMS?

That usually only takes 3 to 5 days so is usually only a day if anything slower than EMS.

2 - 3 months my arse.

Comment

Why can't he use sal(economy airmail) or airmail, these would be cheaper than using ems and not as slow as surface which can take up to three months but usually only takes 1 month dependng on how lucky you are.

I usually get my mecha models, sent via sal and it usually takes around 10-15 days.

Also remember if he marks it for the full amount you may get hit by customs.

Comment

Japanese sellers like EMS because it's easy to do, whack label on, write in details, go to post office, pay, get it stamped and that's it. It's also easier to track and claim on (allegedly...). Insured Airmail and SAL takes more work, so some of them don't like doing so. Surface mail is a cop out, just means he can leave posting it for a little while...

Press him for insured airmail (assuming that the SGGG boxset is less then 2KG in weight....), ?15 sounds about right too.

Comment

You look at the Japanpost web site, they have a page with fees for EMS.

O.k its in Yen but use an online currency converter

JapanPost
          Currency Converter

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

I know that the ?15 for EMS sounds about right, I just dont like the way thats all thats being offered.

Waiting on a reply about sending it via insured Airmail.. hopefully will get it sorted that way!

Comment

Originally posted by ThoseOfTheUnlight
              Thanks for the help guys.

I know that the ?15 for EMS sounds about right, I just dont like the way thats all thats being offered.

Waiting on a reply about sending it via insured Airmail.. hopefully will get it sorted that way!
              Also parcel force normally deliver ems deliverys in th eu.k if you get hit by customs they usually put a ?13 admin charge on!!!!!

Comment

Like everyone says 15 pounds is about right for that boxset. I ,like Tokuda also sell games from Japan so that price sounds fair. He could opt to send it by airmail but be aware that you will have no access to online tracking. The procedures of sending items by EMS and airmail are almost the same, for both of them we have to fill in forms. There is no easier alternative. Just that, with EMS, its secure and both the seller and the buyer can carry out a smooth transaction. Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks Sum ^^

Will pay for EMS then, hopefully this dude will mark the package down for me though!

Comment

Working...
                  X