480p CRT's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

480p CRT's

I'm moving house and need a supergun/retro gaming TV. I will also be getting a new plasma and have decided I won't be hooking my Wii up to this one because the PS3 keeps laughing at it.

So I'm curious, are there any 29" component CRTs on the market that are 4:3? I don't want 16:9 as it kills the screen size for non Wii stuff. I'd settle for RGB but my Wii is american.

Plan B is possibly a big old Hantarex and a VGA adapter or something.

I don't know of any 4:3 TV's with component. I think it's a relatively new addition, so that's why only the more recent 16:9 TV's have them.
    A Hantarex sounds feasible, I've seen NEC ones too on eBay where the back of them is just covered with socketry (HD compatible too), so you probably won't have a problem there. The only issue being that some of the sockets might have BNC type plugs, so RCA or SCART to BNC converters may be required.

Comment

Ive never seen a UK 4:3 CRT with component, there are America & asia region Sony's (and prob others) with it. For sure there are a few smaller 4:3 LCD's out there with it, but you know, ahem.

Comment

There is a Multisystem Sony range with it. 4:3 format, which I've seen as small as 14". prolly quite hard to find nowadays mind.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Like oldgaming fart says, a vga monitor with BNC connectors may be the way to go. + maybe somesort of external video switching box, an XRGB or somesuch for regular connections to VGA.

Comment

Except as an import/eBay you'll be lucky to find any progressive scan CRT TV 4:3 or even 16:9 now. I think there was a Sony 4:3 but when I first started looking for a CRT with component inputs over 4 years ago there were only 5 TVs available in the UK which did it and they were all WS. These were a Toshiba, two Panasonics and two JVCs and all except the JVCs were difficult to source even then.

I would think the only way you're going to be able to get a 4:3 'ED' capable CRT is using a PC monitor. But I think you'll have trouble finding those new too and anything good bigger than 22".
            Last edited by fallenangle; 30-07-2008, 20:25.

Comment

Hmmm. I thought as much. I remember Loewe and Toshiba doing 16:9 component sets about 5 years ago but didn't think anyone would've made a 4:3.

I refuse to buy a Pal Wii with its ****ty 50Hz VC but I can't live with SVHS.

I think some sort of arcade/commercial monitor is in order..

Comment

Originally posted by Super Monkey Balls View Post

I refuse to buy a Pal Wii with its ****ty 50Hz VC but I can't live with SVHS.
                So do US wiis not work with UK rgb cables?

Comment

Originally posted by kyo_244 View Post
                  So do US wiis not work with UK rgb cables?
                  US Wiis don't actually do RGB at all as far as I know.

Comment

You need to look at JVC/Toshiba for CRT widescreen with 480P support but no 4:3 CRT with 480P I would do research on Loewe 4:3 CRT TV to see if there is any with 480P as there might be one.

Thinking outside the box, use a budget projector for 480P games and flat screen TV for PS3/XBOX 360.

Comment

Cheapo CRT monitor + Vdigi Component to VGA box = win

Comment

My standard def. widescreen CRT TV does 100/120Hz and has a D-sub port. The highest res. it takes is VGA (640x480).
                        I have a US Wii and the VDigi cable and it works perfectly. No lag at all.
                        I've only tried games and channels (no VC games) with it though. If I'm ever tempted by a VC game and it doesn't work I have a S-vid cable to fall back on.

Comment

On a related subject: I've been looking into the cheapest way of getting my DC working with a VGA output. You would think that a 'cheap' CRT PC monitor would be the best route (as suggest above) but for a decent sized (21"/22") used monitor you're going to be paying ?75+ excluding shipping. So I've been looking at the alternative a VGA > Component converter so I can use it with my 480p WS CRT.

Audio Authority do one (UK/EU power supply version too) at $140 with shipping. Even if you add C&E duty and the other cabling required it's very much in the same ball park price-wise. Or rather it was, until our glorious chancellor shafted the UK economy and the ? dropped like a stone against the US $.

I do realise you can pick up much cheaper LCD 19" monitors on ebay or the like if you're lucky. But the likelyhood of getting one with a good response time, a decent black level, no dead pixels and colour as good as you'll get with a CRT is slim.

BTW has anyone here used a VGA > Component converter? Opinions/problems?

Comment

Working...
                          X