New modder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New modder.

I want to to get into modding consoles but don't really know where to start. What would be the easiest console to start with and are there any good websites that people could recommend me? Many thanks.

Originally posted by Miyamoto_San
    I want to to get into modding consoles but don't really know where to start. What would be the easiest console to start with and are there any good websites that people could recommend me? Many thanks.
    Are you trying to sell your services? A post like that doesn't inspire confidence

Erm, try the Saturn, the Playstation, the Dreamcast, the Xbox, then the PS2 (rough order of difficulty).

Do your own machines or your mates, or else you'll end up with people asking for their money back soonish.

The PS2 is very tough to do well, look at the pdf guides and buy the right equipment.

Comment

Megadrive, Master System, NES are fairly easy to do as well.
      SNES as well, I guess.

Try www.gamesx.com for loads of modding info.

Comment

Go and get yourself an old PC, someting really worthless like an old 486 from a charity shop or whatever - then get yourself a good quality >1mm tipped solderign iron, and practice removing and replacing components fromthe PCB - there's no such thing as too much practice.

In terms of difficuty, I'd agree with Papercut's list, although the Xbox is a bit of both - it can be really easy using the header pins for the LPC based mods, but can be an even worse nightmare than the PS2 to sort out if you bugger it up - the Xbox mobo, especially if you use the d0 point on top of the board, is notorious for having PCB tracks and vias that do not like to be soldered to more than once - very easy to burn them through.

Will.

Comment

Cool cheers guys.

Comment

Might be an idea to evening class course on electronics or PC buliding or whatever. It will give you skills and confident to develop skills

Comment

Yeah I failed my Electronics GCSE! 8)

Comment

I've just decided to get into modding too, i've ordered a 7-wire stealth ( ) modchip from Playstation Chips UK, plus a soldering iron. I'm planning to work on one of my two old Playstations. Only one has a working laser however - could i swop the working laser between the two?

Comment

Yeah I failed my Electronics GCSE! 8)
                  *Makes note not to use Miyamoto_San's modding service.*

Comment

cheeky bastard. 8)

Comment

Working...
                    X