Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The advantage of this is that it removes reliance on the System Menu, because the code executes in the initial boot sequence before the System Menu loads. You gain full control over the machine, and it provides a level of immunity from future updates.

Comment

Hey guys can I get some info please?

I've been going through this thread trying to find what I need but all I see is names and version numbers and I'm not exactly sure what I need.

I have a US Wii and want to make it region free. I don't care about VC or Wii Ware, I just want to run PAL or NTSC-J discs on it.

What version of what do I need? Can anyone recommend a good tutorial for doing it?

Sorry to be a newb but any help would be appreciated!

Comment

[links removed]

This should give you all the steps you need to get going.

edit: I hope to Christ that linking isn't going to get my forum knackers cut off. All that info is publicly available for region free goodness and Homebrew. None of that thieving "I haz pirate materials" there. I hope.
        Last edited by charlesr; 02-04-2009, 07:36.

Comment

You are a scholar and a gent Spatial, much appreciated!!!

EDIT - All done, thanks again!
          Last edited by chopemon; 01-04-2009, 19:49.

Comment

Spatial even though it's not all pirate stuff they seem to not like anyone linking to anything homebrew channel related, they will most likely remove the links in your post.

Comment

The applications linked to allow you to play pirate wads, so links to it aren't allowed. Surely people can find their own info if they look hard enough?
              Last edited by charlesr; 02-04-2009, 07:43.

Comment

I am right in assuming that if you have Firmware 4.0 then you can't do any of the homebrew hacks yet, even if you have a modchip fitted

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                  The applications linked to allow you to play pirate wads, so links to it aren't allowed.
                  Oops! Apologies for that.

Not being even remotely interested in the piracy aspect I must confess my total ignorance there, as if I'd known I wouldn't have linked.

Nintendo should just pull their heads out of their bums and make the system region free and then there'd be no excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                    Surely people can find their own info if they look hard enough?
                    When I posted asking for help I totally didn't think of the forum's policy on links to this stuff as I didn't even give a thought to piracy. Sorry to have caused any problems, was just a bit confused as Google didn't turn up the Wiibrew site and it was all a bit mind boggling.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeF View Post
                      I am right in assuming that if you have Firmware 4.0 then you can't do any of the homebrew hacks yet, even if you have a modchip fitted
                      Not seen any way round it yet, until they implement a new exploit your going to have to wait if you have 4.0 installed. However if you already have the homebrew channel installed you can apparently upgrade to 4.0 however they are still unsure of the side effects.

Comment

I upgraded to 4.0 with the Homebrew Channel installed, and it works just as well afterwards as it did before. Haven't tried any of the other exploits, though, so can't comment whether the recent workarounds apply to 4.0 firmware.

Comment

I had a look at the USB loader yesterday which even in this early stage is pretty good. It has a high compatibility rate for region free but unfortunately the scope for piracy is massive.

Comment

Gave the USB Loader a go this afternoon - seriously impressive stuff. My copy of Madworld was off the disk and running from a 16Gb SD card I had lying around in just over 5 minutes.

Only down side was that the game kept freezing at random points - either it would loose all sound before it crashed or it would lock up and give a blank screen with a "Check disk" message. It was the kind of thing you get when the laser can't read a DVD and imagine that's down to trying run something so intensive off a non-branded SD card. I've got a Portable USB PC HD here which I'll try next, but have to shift the data off it first.

As someone who likes the HD install feature on the 360, I love being able to do this with my Wii games too. But as smouty said the potential for piracy is absolutely immense.

Comment

I'm using a USB powered 2.5" HDD like THIS.
                              I've loaded all my games and I'm astounded that they all work. I've only got a couple of PAL games but they work perfectly even Wii fit which has been problematic until recently.
                              Looking forward to it supporting cube stuff next.

Forgot to add - Some of the Wii games are amazingly small.
                              I think it was Wii Play that was about 90Mb.
                              Last edited by smouty; 13-04-2009, 19:30.

Comment

Just finished playing around with it on an external Hard Drive. Doesn't freeze any more so as expected it was too demanding trying to run games of an SD card.

At the risk of sounding repetitive, seriously impressive stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X