Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since the original coder, Nuke, of gecko os has left the scene, gecko os hasn't been updated for a while. Now new coder, brkirch, has taken over the project and released gecko os 1.8 today. It can be found on usbgecko's official site. New improvments have been added to enable better import gaming support.

Gecko 1.8
    ---------

What's New:
    -Multidol games work through Gecko's game loader, rebooter is no longer required for them
    -To ensure games are fully functional the game loader now uses the IOS requested by the game (as a result there is no 002 error, that error is due to game loaders booting a game with the wrong IOS)
    -If a game requests an IOS that you don't have, the game's update partition will be searched for the IOS and the option to install the IOS will be given if it is found (if you have a modchip, turn off update blocking!)
    -It is now possible to select not to load the debugger, which increases the number of code lines allowed by Ocarina
    -New hooks have been added so that most (if not all) Wii games can be hooked
    -Rebooter will use the hook selected on the config menu to hook games
    -Rebooter is now compatible with preloader
    -The menu interface has been improved, and you can load a custom background by creating a 640x480 PNG-24 file, naming it background.png, and putting it at the root of your SD card
    -The menu configuration can be saved, and the saved configuration will be loaded automatically when Gecko starts
    -A configuration file can be created for game specific settings like hook type; see "gameconfig file format.txt" (in the "docs" folder) for details
    -New code types are supported by the code handler, see "new code types doc tech.txt" (in the "docs" folder) for details
    -GPF (gecko patch file) support; see "gpf file format.txt" (in the "docs" folder) for details

Credits:
    Code - Nuke / Kenobi / YS / brkirch
    Menu GFX - Nuke
    WiiRD Code - Link / Kenobi

I would also like to give a special thanks to the testers on the WiiRD forums, and everyone who contributed to the development of the original Gecko OS.

brkirch
    I added the readme file, which is more or less a changelog, for those people who wants to know what has been changed
    Last edited by Cornflakes; 15-04-2009, 15:59.

Comment

New version of Gecko out v1.9

What's New:

-Added channel loading with hooks, channel menu supports same database.txt format as AnyTitle Deleter MOD to replace the channel IDs with channel names (put database.txt at the root of the SD card)
      -Ocarina works on channels
      -ELF/DOL loading from geckoload now works
      -Optionally the directory data/gecko can contain the codes folder, patch folder, gameconfig.txt, config.dat, and background.png instead of the root of the SD card
      -GC memory cards are no longer detected as a USB Gecko
      -Changed how exit works; if a loader other than the homebrew channel was used (or an old version of the HBC) it will return to the system menu
      -Fixed a text overlapping bug that would happen if a disc error occurs and Ocarina is on
      Nice to see a feature that automatically load settings for a game that has already been configured

Comment

Finally got a working US wii but tried to put hbc on it (its 3.4u) each time I try i keep getting the hanging unable to boot.dol (-1) (have tried changing to .elf) but still no joy only really want it so i can play Little Kings Story can anyone shoot me a pm or post on what I may be doing wrong?? I have tried a 2gb (non high speed) Sandisk Micro Sd and a normal 2gb Sandisk have formatted the cards as FAT, FAT32 and also used the official panasonic sd format tool. Can anyone help me, sorry if this is in wrong place but I dont want to wait till June/July any help would be greatly appreciated. Have also installed the Madworld update (USA version) so dont know if this is impeeding my install of hbc

Comment

I take it you are using the twilight hack and the specific version for 3.4?

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
            I take it you are using the twilight hack and the specific version for 3.4?

hi, thanks for reply,

yep beta 2 version (3.4 specific) with save 0 (the correct one for me)

any ideas?

Comment

OK, i have a US Wii (with the latest FW installed unfortunately) but really want the ability to play Pal games, due to them being so much cheaper to pick up than US games right now?
              Is this currently possible, now i hear the TP hack has been closed? Any info appreciated

Comment

I'm late to this party, had a Wii for what seems like an age now. Could you point me in right right direction to the stuff I need to download onto my SD card to get my Wii region free. So I can play some PAL releases

Comment

My understanding is that if you are on FW4, you are screwed unless you already have the HB channel installed.

Comment

Yes that seems to be the case. I imagine they'll come up with a way around it sooner or later though.

Comment

Going to try and install the homebrew channel this weekend so a little advice would be greatly appreciated.

Basically just wanting to know what the deal is with save games from different regions? I know the gamecube will wipe pal saves if you try and save a ntsc game. Is this the same with wii saves?

Comment

You shouldn't have any problems with saves from different regions. I've got PAL, NTSC-U and NTSC-J saves files on my PAL Wii without any problems loading or saving any of my games

Comment

Originally posted by KIT786 View Post
                          You shouldn't have any problems with saves from different regions. I've got PAL, NTSC-U and NTSC-J saves files on my PAL Wii without any problems loading or saving any of my games
                          Cheers for that, just what I wanted to hear.

Comment

Got the homebrew channel and Geko working without any problems, seems like a fantastic application. Got a couple more questions which if anyone could answer it would be great.

1. I remember that with some import cube games you could enable progressive scan by holding down 'b' as the game booted. Is there still any need to do this if I've got the wii set to 480p?

2. Are there any games (cube and wii) that don't work with geko?

Comment

I've found that sometimes you do need to hold B. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I think with GCBooter, it doesn't automatically go into progressive, and Gecko does... might be the other way around. Most games do ask you though.

Comment

Hi again, I managed to get the HBC on my US 3.4 Wii but now im a bit stuck can anyone explain how I can get Gecko on it please

Comment

Working...
                                X