Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to know the same, apparently it's advised not to leave wii-connect on, but I tend to use it a fair bit. Would it be worth me adding HBC?

Comment

The WiiConnect thing is just concern about Nintendo secretly updating in the background, since the TOS allows for this. In reality, this is extremely dangerous and Nintendo probably wouldn't do this.

You can't really brick it by installing Homebrew Channel though because you're simply installing an extra channel to the main menu.

Comment

the disc drive died on my wii the other day and im wondering if its worth installing the hbc to extract all my locked saves before i send it off for repairs. think ninty will kick up a fuss if they find out?

Comment

I don't actually use WiiConnect24, so that's no biggy. Do you have to strictly avoid firmware updates from Nintendo? Or just wait until someone has verfied it as safe? If it's the latter, how long does that normally take?

How likely are Nintendo to ultimately ban Wiis like MS does? Is it possible to completely remove any trace of the hack, or will Ninty always be able to detect it?

How easy or difficult is it to connect to the shop channel with HB installed?

Comment

Because it's simply adding an extra Channel on the menu (rather than being a drive firmware flash like on the 360), it's not as easy to detect. I suppose it's technically possible, but unlikely. There's never zero risk, though.

For the purpose of running imports, you're generally okay once it's known that a firmware update doesn't delete a preinstalled Homebrew Channel. Newer firmware can do funny stuff with regards to running homebrew however. In general, updates have attempted to remove existing exploits to install the Homebrew Channel, but don't tend to actually delete Homebrew Channel (yet).

There's not much need to update firmware anymore because GeckoOS can grab the updated IOS files (the core files needed to run newer files) from the gamedisc, and thus 'update' without actually updating firmware.

There's certainly no way it can interfere with the Shop Channel, though newer games on the store might require an updated IOS, which you can grab from a gamedisc using GeckoOS.

Comment

Are you saying that using these IOS files you can make your Wii compatible with the shop channel without using a firmware upgrade? The shop channel requires firmware upgrades to connect, which is why I ask.

The BannerBomb works AOK with the latest Nintendo firmware, then? No disadvantages?

Thanks for taking the time to reply, BTW.

Comment

Hi all,
                A while ago I had planned on putting the Homebrew channel on my Wii but never got round to it as I became abit disinterested in the Wii for a while

Anyhow, im now hoping to put the Homebrew channel on, my Wii still has 3.3E firmware so I think im still fine for the Twilight Hack? However, I have a few questions first (Sorry for so many!):-

1) Is it possible to change only the region of the Virtual Console shop (for 60Hz goodness) or do you have to change the whole Wii Shop region?

2) If I change the whole Wii Shop region will I lose my previous game purchases, and any future updates to the Internet Channel?

3) If I ever needed to re-download the News and Weather channels from the Wii shop would they then be US centric?

4) Are Wii Points region specific? and if so can I use a UK Credit card to buy US Wii Points?

5) Do US Virtual Console games display ok when using an RGB Scart connection? (I know some Wii games will only display a red image)

6) Lastly, once I have the homebrew channel installed and have changed the shop region can I safely update to the latest 4.0E firmware using the Wii settings update option? I only ask as I would really like to have the new SD card menu and SDHC support, however if 4.0E brakes any homebrew software I wont risk it

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Comment

I don't think you can change shop region any more, which I think pretty much covers all your questions.
                  Whatever region shop you are in now is where you shall remain. Unless.....

I tried removing my shop account, but to do that, you have to upgrade to 4.0 and then anyregionchanger dies. Is there any way around this so I can get anyregionchanger working again?
                  Last edited by charlesr; 26-05-2009, 10:32.

Comment

You could try BootMii, since with that you can boot the Homebrew Channel independent from the System Menu, and should be able to boot AnyRegion Changer and do anything you want to the System Menu with relatively few worries.

Comment

Just a word of warning, if you install BootMii then there's currently no way to uninstall it.

Comment

Ah yeah, forgot about that. Thanks.

Comment

Would there be a reason you need to uninstall BootWii? Just a question really as was thinking of installing it myself.

Also can someone recommend the best version of GeckOS please. Cheers
                          3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Only if you wanted to return your Wii to stock manufacture state. Also, you currently cannot control the BootMii menu with the Wii Remote, only the buttons on the Wii itself, or a GameCube controller, so it may be awkward until the develop a Bluetooth driver for it.

The best is the newest 1.9.0.1

Comment

Ta
                              So just to be clear before I install the HBC on my virgin 4.0...
                              After the HBC is installed do I need to install anything else to stop it being automatically updated or anything like that?
                              As I've heard there's something that stops games updating to the newer firmware/system menu.
                              Cheers
                              Last edited by Escape-To-88; 26-05-2009, 16:05.
                              3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                                I don't think you can change shop region any more, which I think pretty much covers all your questions.
                                Whatever region shop you are in now is where you shall remain. Unless.....

I tried removing my shop account, but to do that, you have to upgrade to 4.0 and then anyregionchanger dies. Is there any way around this so I can get anyregionchanger working again?
                                Doh! Does that still apply even if I havent done any updates since September last year? The last thing I got from the Wii Shop channel was the Nintendo Channel when it was launched in May 2008, as I just couldnt be doing with the PAL 50Hz versions.

Comment

Working...
                                X