This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shozuki View Post
    if someone can help I would appreciate it!
    Originally posted by choimaloy View Post
    what do i need to do to get Pal games to work on my US wii so i can have the convenence to get games here in the UK.
    I think you'll find everything in this thread. Unless someone is willing to go over it again you'll have to do some reading

Comment

Its just that many different options on here,all i want to do is play pal games on it,also i think it has the lastest firmware on it if that makes it more difficult.

Comment

Startpatch is the thing you want, I think.

Comment

is there any way to softmod and what does this startpatch entail.

Comment

Startpatch applies various patches to the system menu, including region free for all Wii and GameCube games as well as channels, blocks system updates (both disc and online-based), removes the copy protection from savestates... it's pretty damn essential in my book, creates pretty much the perfect Wii console.

StartPatch is a homebrew application however, so you need to install the Homebrew Channel. There are a few ways to install this on the latest 4.3 firmware, though I'm not sure if I'm allowed to go into specifics on here. Google is your friend.

If you don't want to mess with the system menu for whatever reason, you can use the Gecko loader, though you will still need to install the Homebrew Channel.

Comment

Think i will do some more reading before i have a go it softmodding it, also can you hard mod a wii ?

Comment

You can, but it's significantly less flexible than softmodding.

Comment

What kind of size are files needed to softmod? I need a new SD card anyway and would like one with large enough capacity. I'm guessing 2GB is too small?

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle View Post
                    What kind of size are files needed to softmod? I need a new SD card anyway and would like one with large enough capacity. I'm guessing 2GB is too small?
                    A 2GB card would be plenty - I can't remember exact file sizes but they are really small (only a few mb iirc).
                    Last edited by tom-nook; 13-12-2010, 23:35.

Comment

Alright, I give up, how do I update the Wii shop channel? I'm on 4.2 US and haven't touched homebrew for a few months.

Comment

EDIT: Sorted now. It was the DOP-Mii installer that was confusing things. You have to start it up and then hit B. It took me a while to find documentation.

Is DOP-Mii a good way of keeping your Wii up to date? If not, there ought to be a way to just grab updates from the NUS servers to make the update process safer and easier. I think this is what DOP-Mii does, but it's not very user-friendly.

Comment

Anyone know if the update on the Metroid: Other M and Epic Mickey disks block out homebrew? Is there a latest version of gecko which combats it if so?

Comment

If you have HBC installed use something like priiloader to block disk updates.
                            The latest update will block HB and make it difficult to re-install and also update boot2 so that you will lose brick protection.

For offline updating Modmii will download the updated from NUS for you to install.

Comment

Can I use gecko to boot the game past the update install, just as if it were a region locked title?

Comment

Should be able to yes. I'm on ancient version of the OS and just use Gecko for everything now. Saves ever having to update or muck about. No good if you want to use the shop though.
                                Last edited by charlesr; 31-12-2010, 13:54.

Comment

Working...
                                X