This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
    Yes, I suppose Ocarina is a good idea. I was hoping to find someone with a save file ? all the ones on GameFAQs are 100% complete, whereas I had just finished collecting the initial 120 stars.

Thanks for posting, this may be my best option. I had always assumed that the NAND backup was simply system files. Next time I think I'll make a current backup before restoring, especially if I'm unsure the softmod is the cause!
    A useful website full of Wii saves to the rescue!

wiisave.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, wiisave.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
      I'm guessing you need SBB as you have updated to 4.3. This will mean your boot2 has probably been updated to v4 which means you have lost the ability to install bootmii except as an IOS which offers little brick protection so be careful.
      Sorry but thats not quite right, it all depends on which version of boot1 your Wii has...

boot1 can never be updated and if your Wii is old enough to have a vulnerable boot1 ('boot1a' or 'boot1b') you will always be able to install BootMii as boot2 and as an IOS. If your boot1 is the fixed revision ('boot1c' used in Wii consoles produced mid 2008 and onwards) or later then you will more than likely never be able to install BootMii as boot2 but can still install it as an IOS.

Confusion arises because Nintendo started updating boot2 to 'boot2v4' with the 4.1 update included with New Super Mario Bros, and issued it online with firmware 4.2 onwards. Installing boot2v4 has a very small risk of bricking your Wii, regardless of your Wii being modded or not. It will also overwrite BootMii if its installed to boot2, but as long as your Wii has a vulnerable boot1 you will always be able to reinstall BootMii as boot2 using the HackMii Installer.

Simply put, if your Wii is old enough you should always install BootMii/boot2, and if it gets removed with a firmware update (Drive slot no longer blinks after updating to 4.1+) make sure you reinstall it afterwards - you wont have to install BootMii/boot2 again unless Nintendo decides to update boot2 again. Also always make sure you keep a (recent) NAND backup!

Hope that makes sense

Some good reading:-
      Last edited by charlesr; 20-01-2011, 21:20. Reason: Typos

Comment

Well my Super Smash Bros from Topper arrived yesterday & I'm now the proud owner of a Softmodded Wii (again lol)

So far I've installed...

Bootmii
        Priiloader
        Gecko OS

All running hunky dory

I've used Priiloader to turn off Disc & Online updates so all being well no more scares about forced updates.

I've also switched on all region through Priiloader so just need a cheap PAL game now to test out whether it's worked or not.

Anyway thanks for all the advice guys appreciate it & now I don;t have to import cheap Wiiness is at my finger tips again

Neil.

Comment

I have Gecko and the Homebrew Channel. I haven't had my Wii on for ages and the shop needs an update. Obviously, if I update the shop it will wipe the channel. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this channel updated?

Comment

OK, whats this GC booter? Where do I get it.

Could someone help me out with forwarders? I'd like config USB loader and SNES9x on the homescreen, can I do this?

Comment

Originally posted by elaniel View Post
              I have Gecko and the Homebrew Channel. I haven't had my Wii on for ages and the shop needs an update. Obviously, if I update the shop it will wipe the channel. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this channel updated?
              I'm sure I read somewhere that as long as your HBC is the latest version then the updates can be run ok...but I'm not 100% sure so hopefully someone else will be able to confirm.

On a side note Priiloader Region Free works fine
              Been playing PAL Mario Kart perfectly without the need to go through the HBC channel or Gecko

It's awesome

Neil

Comment

I've never heard of Priiloader. Is that to make the console region free for GC and Wii games? Ultimately that's all I ever wanted.

Comment

Priiloader is an awesome piece of kit that hacks about with all sorts of the Wii's innards

It's difficult to explain everything it does so here's a Wiki about it...

I can't remember if it gives access to GC region free but the Wii Region Free is a godsend & it can stop forced Updates as well which is a result.

Neil
                  Last edited by charlesr; 20-01-2011, 21:20.

Comment

HAcked mine to pieces last night. All working great. Put a bunch of my discs (that I own and are mine and I am keeping) onto an external USB drive and can launch from there now which is nice. Tri and Metroid trilogy both crash though. I think I need a different USB Loader as I'm using GX at the moment and I hear that's not the best one to use?

Comment

I've got Config USB Loader on my homescreen but no idea how it works or whether it's better than GX or not I'm afraid FSW as I've not tried any USB stuff yet...havent got a HDD that will work with the Wii yet.

Neil

Comment

Config USB for me.
                        Haven't found anything that it does't work with.

Comment

Originally posted by elaniel View Post
                          See my below quote for the answer to your question.

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
                          The only reason I update my Wii is because I buy a lot of WiiWare stuff. Now that I've got used to it, I recommend DOPMii. It has a database of all the IOS files and channels and whatnot. All you do is find the one you want, with the mostly accurate descriptions offered, and hit the install button – it then can download direct from the NUS servers.

For the latest shop channel I simply had to download the new Shop Channel v20 and IOS56 (I think it was).

EDIT: ModMii is maybe a little more powerful but it also comes with attendant risks. The most annoying thing on my end is that it makes my Homebrew channel flip 180º when it overwrites IOS36!

Comment

I actually updated my shop channel a few days ago, using DOP-Mii because i wanted to buy Bit.Trip Fate but whenever I try to load the shop channel I keep getting a blue screen of death (some error#002). Tried to download again but no luck, everything else seems fine. Any ideas people?

Comment

Sorry guys, had to remove the links.

Comment

Originally posted by KIT786 View Post
                                I actually updated my shop channel a few days ago, using DOP-Mii because i wanted to buy Bit.Trip Fate but whenever I try to load the shop channel I keep getting a blue screen of death (some error#002). Tried to download again but no luck, everything else seems fine. Any ideas people?
                                Did you update both the shop Channel to v20 and IOS56 as mentioned by monomaniacpat 3 posts down?

Comment

Working...
                                X