Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used StartPatch to make my system menu completely region free. Plays all region Wii, GameCube and Virtual Console games straight from the system menu, and blocks system updates. Never looked back.

Comment

Cool. I'll do that as a starter for ten. Thanks!
      Last edited by charlaph; 10-06-2011, 11:50. Reason: double post

Comment

Ah. Instant problem. I need to be on 4.0-4.3 to install startPatch. Every guide and forum I read yesterday advises against updating to 4.3, so how do I go to, say, 4.1? or should I just forget it and update to 4.3? will doing that mean I have to start again from scratch with the softmodding?

Comment

Get a USB HDD and load your games from that. Its quicker, easier and saves your laser.

Comment

I believe you can install whichever firmware and IOS you want by using DOP-Mii. I'm running either 4.1 or 4.2.

Comment

Just make sure you have the latest homebrew channel installed before performing any system menu updates, otherwise all your homebrew might be deleted and you wont have any way to reinstall it without using specific US games with a save exploit.

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                Get a USB HDD and load your games from that. Its quicker, easier and saves your laser.
                All the ones I want to use on there break e.g. Metroid trilogy, Monster Hunter. These were known issues a while back but has a fix been done for these do you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                  I believe you can install whichever firmware and IOS you want by using DOP-Mii. I'm running either 4.1 or 4.2.
                  Hmm. I must be doing something wrong or missing something, I used Dop-Mii v15 yesterday but all I got was options for ioses, nothing about the firmware was obvious. I'm off to search for a tutorial.

Comment

Originally posted by charlaph View Post
                    Hmm. I must be doing something wrong or missing something, I used Dop-Mii v15 yesterday but all I got was options for ioses, nothing about the firmware was obvious. I'm off to search for a tutorial.
                    Be extra careful using DOP-Mii, if you accidentally install a stub IOS for your current System Menu you can end up with a semi-bricked Wii. Also, make sure you install the IOS needed by the new System Menu first, otherwise that can cause a semi-brick as well.

Personally, if it was my Wii and I wasnt sure how to use DOP-Mii I would instead start by making sure I had the latest Homebrew Channel installed, and then update to 4.3 normally through Nintendo's servers (or game disk with correct region update) This should give you a fresh start and will wipe out most/all of the old homebrew you have hanging around (cIOS, apps, etc) and leave you with just the Homebrew Channel. From there you should re-install the Homebrew Channel (to make sure it uses the new IOS58) and BootMii, and then install Priiloader or Startpatch to enable region free.

...Keep in mind though that there is a tiny brick risk due to Nintendo updating boot2 in the 4.2/4.3 updates (Google "hackmii updates and bricking")
                    Last edited by Link83; 10-06-2011, 16:57.

Comment

Agh! ignore me. It's all there on the second page. I'll do another nand dump just for a safety net and then have a crack!

Comment

Bit confused by all this homebrew channel stuff. What's my best and easiest option to play USA gamecube games on my pal 4.3e wii?
                        I have no need to play back ups etc.
                        Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by huxley View Post
                          Bit confused by all this homebrew channel stuff. What's my best and easiest option to play USA gamecube games on my pal 4.3e wii?
                          I have no need to play back ups etc.
                          Cheers
                          Do you already have the Homebrew Channel installed? If not since your on 4.3E you will need one of the PAL games with a savegame exploit, such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl, LEGO Indiana Jones, LEGO Batman, LEGO Star Wars or Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's Wheelie Breakers.
                          Last edited by Link83; 10-06-2011, 13:20.

Comment

No it's virgin mate
                            Just googled that, got it I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Link83 View Post
                              ...I would instead start by making sure I had the latest Homebrew Channel installed, and then update to 4.3 normally through Nintendo's servers (or game disk with correct region update) This should give you a fresh start and will wipe out most/all of the old homebrew you have hanging around (cIOS, apps, etc) and leave you with just the Homebrew Channel. From there you should re-install the Homebrew Channel (to make sure it uses the new IOS58) and then install Priiloader or Startpatch to enable region free.
                              Good stuff, and worth bearing in mind. If I do anything bad then I'll revirginise as best I can and do this.

Comment

Originally posted by charlaph View Post
                                Agh! ignore me. It's all there on the second page. I'll do another nand dump just for a safety net and then have a crack!
                                If for any reason it all goes horribly wrong & you lose all your HBC etc. as long as your still on 4.3U give me a shout.

I have a copy of Smash Bros & pretty much all the necessary exploits on SD cards here that you can borrow to back to square one.

For what it's worth I have PriiLoader installed on mine & it's made it region free & I just load the game from the main screen like you would a normal US game without having to go through any additional software first.

Neil

Comment

Working...
                                X