This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
    As far as I can workout and existing softmod you have should prevent updates from happening. And from what I can tell, Nintendo has long since given up on Wii updates.

I've never had a game update either (not much storage on the Wii nand, and you can't guarantee that everybody has an SD card).
    It was when I clicked on the wii shop that it said that I'd have to do a system update to access the shop. I was going to check out a few of the download games. Maybe I should leave well enough alone?

Comment

There are safe methods of doing the update through the homebrew channel. It's been so long I can't remember, but googling should turn something up.

Comment

Originally posted by danstan21 View Post
        May I ask how you managed that? I've got a copy of Milestone Shooting Collection 2 that I'm running on a PAL Wii w/ RGB Cable via Gecko which gives me the red-only display problem when video-out is set to NTSC, a green screen of death when forcing PAL60, and a "correct" display (although horribly bordered) when forcing PAL50.
        Sorry I missed this. Used Letterbomb to hack the machine and loaded with Neo Gamma iirc. Just set to PAL 60 and works fine. Every game I have tried works via RGB.

Comment

A bit late to the party...is the softmod still doable with the latest firmware (or not-so-latest-versions-but-surely-within-2012)? I have an unused PAL Wii and I wouldn't mind to mod it to play a couple of Japanese games boguht and left unplayed "for when I'll buy a JPN Wii".
          What are the general guidelines for a softmod, like backing up savegames (not many) and other miscellaneous stuff?

Comment

I had the very latest update. I made a copy of the bios??? Something like that in case it failed so I could unbrick it. Used letterbomb and it worked first time.

Comment

Mhm, great to know. I'll sail the digital seas to gather more info.

Comment

Nintendo have long since given up releasing new firmware for the Wii, so it's perfectly safe to update. You can update the store using something like Dop-Mii Wiibrew Edition, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Holding B did the trick! You're a genius! Thank you very much. Really appreciate that. Weird how trying to force 60Hz through Gecko didn't do it but not to worry, this does the job. Thanks!
                  How exactly did you do this? I'm trying to run Billy Hatcher on Gecko and I've been having no luck at all

Comment

May shortly be receiving a wii for free.. quick question regarding emulators and virtual console- how do the fair with a standard wiimote controllers? Do you NEED a classic controller to get the most out of it?

Comment

Yes. They are about a fiver in cex.

Comment

Nice one ta. Think I might get one then.. any idea how much the component cables are off the top of your head?

*edit* I was being a lazy bast. Looked it up myself.
                        Last edited by k0pp0; 13-01-2014, 11:48.

Comment

Originally posted by k0pp0 View Post
                          Nice one ta. Think I might get one then.. any idea how much the component cables are off the top of your head?

*edit* I was being a lazy bast. Looked it up myself.
                          You might want to go for a Classic Controller Pro. Maybe a few quid more but much better than the standard Classic Controller.

Comment

Classic Controller Pro is a lot nicer overall for sure. It's like a PlayStation pad.

Comment

Don't forget you can use a GameCube controller too for most Classic Controller games. I prefer using my Wavebird rather than having to be tethered to the Wii Remote.

Comment

Thanks chaps - I've just found out about the Classic Pro. I need to steal my mother in laws Wii first (arf!) before I buy owt else.

Comment

Working...
                                X