Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am now with Wii. Got to check it's working as it's been sat in the mother in laws garage for the last 10 months!! I also cannot believe that I do not have a SD card handy... Anyone want to PM me to offer assistance in modding this bad boy?

Comment

Ho Ho! My Wii should be here by the weekend!

Link removed.

About to go online on the 360 as the missus wants to watch Death in Paradise.
      Last edited by charlesr; 21-01-2014, 20:37.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out if there is a 4.4 firmware update? Seem to see conflicting reports..

Comment

4.3 is the newest and is fine. It doesn't matter really - some people still use 4.1.

First thing to do is to just install the Homebrew Channel using the one of the many exploits, such as the Letterbomb exploit. From there, you can install the Gecko OS loader as a homebrew app for region free.

You can actually then mod the system menu so that it is region free right from the system menu without having to use the loader. Use an application called StartPatch for this, though obviously the risks are slightly higher. One step at a time!

Can't link, but most resources are on WiiBrew, so Google for 'WiiBrew StartPatch' or something.

Use RetroArch 1.0.0.1 for emulation goodness, by the way. It's an all-in-one emulator with many speed optimisations. The only Snes emulator that plays all SuperFX2 games at full speed with no frameskip, for example.
          Last edited by sj33; 22-01-2014, 10:24.

Comment

Lovely ta. I stuck it on today and updated the firmware to 4.3e so that's good. Just got to wait for a SD card and source some cheapy controller controller pro's and component cables.

Comment

It is a good idea to install BootMii so that it loads before the system menu (Boot2 if you can) and make a backup of your NAND which should make your Wii near brick-proof.
              Some newer Wii models are patched to prevent this though so your may not be compatible.

BootMii is a modification of boot2, which loads the system menu when booting the Wii. As boot2 is normally not updated through a wii system update (which was proven wrong with the 4.2 update!), this is the best brick protection you can get. Unfortunately, Nintendo already knew about it before it
              Last edited by smouty; 22-01-2014, 14:09.

Comment

Priiloader is another nice one that does a similar thing. One other cool thing about BootMii and Priiloader is that you can load into the Homebrew Channel from there, avoiding the need to dig out a Wii Remote if all you want to play is GameCube/Homebrew/Wii games that can use GameCube controller.

Comment

Lovely thanks chaps

So current shopping list looks like this:

Caddy for 2.5 sata disk *incoming*
                  8 GB SD card *incoming*
                  Pro Controller
                  USB powered sensor bar
                  Component cable - potentially x2
                  GAMEZ
                  Last edited by k0pp0; 26-01-2014, 12:30.

Comment

Going to get myself sorted with this.
                    can I get any wii or do I need an earlier model?

Comment

The model is not important it's the firmware version on it that you need to pay attention to.

Comment

Actually, even the latest firmware version works fine. Nintendo haven't released a new firmware in about 2 years.

Any Wii will work fine, though you might want to avoid the Wii Mini. Also, some of the later revisions of the Wii lack the GameCube controller ports.

Comment

Right, got the homebrew channel.
                          what next? Interested in playing my us GameCube games, bit of snes etc..
                          bit lost looking at the web tbh.

Comment

GeckOS for region free GC.

Comment

Cheers, do I need a external hard drive?
                              If so ,any recommendations?

Comment

You only need an external HDD if you're going to be using USB loader or w/e it's called. I've not done that so will pass on pretending to know.

Comment

Working...
                                X