Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's about it. You need to have the HBC installer .elf or .dol file on the SD card.
    See http://hbc.hackmii.com/download/ for details.

When the HBC is installed you put the things you want to run in \apps on the sd card, load up the HBC from the Wii dash and it creates a menu containing what it finds in said folder.

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
      When the HBC is installed you put the things you want to run in \apps on the sd card, load up the HBC from the Wii dash and it creates a menu containing what it finds in said folder.
      Or install the Homebrew Browser, and never worry about such low-level issues again.

Comment

Even something this simple is clearly too much for me.

I'm following the instructions on this page:

edit by charlesr: url removed

But got point 3 "Copy "boot.dol" from the Homebrew Channel download to to the root of your SD card." and stuck. Downloaded the Homebrew Channel but it appears to be a .tar file and I cannot open that to get the boot.dol that is supposed to be inside.

What program do I need?
        Last edited by charlesr; 28-11-2008, 22:13.

Comment

.tar is just a compression format like .zip, .rar and stuff. The usual WinRAR, 7Zip etc will open them.

Comment

Ah, seems when I formatted a few months ago I never reinstalled WinRAR. Assumed that I had.

Thanks

Comment

Alright, got the Homebrew Channel installed. I take it I can remove the Zelda save and the and homebrew channel data from the Wii internal memory and SD card now?
              Last edited by C'; 28-11-2008, 21:52.

Comment

you can remove the zelda save.
                You now set up the card with to run apps instead. And as mentioned above, install the homebrew browser to make it easy to install, uninstall future stuff.

Comment

Can the card setup to run apps also be used to backup saves, virtual console downloads at the same time?

Comment

Sorry for all the questions but I suck at things like this.

I removed everything involved in installing the Homebrew Channel from the SD Card and created a new folder called 'apps'

I downloaded the latest version of Gecko OS and placed the boot.dol into a folder along with PNG and XML file. Selected the Homebrew Channel and the Gecko OS option appeared which I can run but I then get a black screen with a blue border with Gecko OS written across the top and a small Gecko icon bottom left and it seems to hang. The only way to get the options to appear is to remove the GC memory cards which defeats the object of running import GC games somewhat.

And then I get a second problem. Has anyone successfully run the JP version of Sonic Gems Collection on a PAL Wii using this? The game loads the menus fine but as soon as I select any of the games I get an error message and I have to turn off the Wii.

Comment

It's just a bug in the current version of Gecko OS, where you can't have a memory card in slot B when loading Gecko (because it uses that for SDGecko stuff). You can plug the card in once Gecko has loaded, or just stick with slot A.

Comment

Yeah found that.

Also solved the Sonic Gems problem. Removing and reinserting the disc at the title screen allows it to boot the different games without a hitch so all good now

Comment

If you hit any other issues, try the 'Rebooter' mode in Gecko OS. This takes a different approach - region-patching the System Menu in RAM. It'll reboot to the System Menu and you can load your game from the System Menu like any other game. This may solve your Sonic Gems Collection issue.

Comment

Don't know about Sonic Gems, but the first thing you mentioned definitely sounds like the GC memory card issue. Only thing you could do is run the app without the cards and then put them in once the game is running (obviously at a point where it's not going to be trying to load a memory card).
                            Last edited by Roddie; 29-11-2008, 08:30. Reason: Oops! I'd obviously had this tab open a while before I typed my reply. Shakey Jake to the rescue.

Comment

Thanks for all the help everyone. Everything seems to be running wonderfully now.

Just in time to purchase Tatsunoko vs. Capcom that I can't afford :x

If only something similar to unlock the regioning for PS1/2 games on my PS3 was available...

Comment

how easy is this to do ?

Comment

Working...
                                X