Do memory sticks die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do memory sticks die?

I've had a USB flash stick for about a year, with no troubles. Use it for work stuff every day, not a peep of trouble. Then this week it's started to play up after a year of trouble-free use, in that it isn't recognised straight away when it's plugged into the USB port. That's happened on several computers, using different ports without other things plugged in at the same time. Weird.

Can these things break easily? The ones I've had before have gone forever with no sign of trouble, and I got the impression that flash iPods are the same technology. I went straight to Maplin after work and bought another stick [memory's SO much cheaper these days!], and have transferred everything over to be on the safe side. Just wondering if I was being over-cautious? Or whether I ought to be backing up my stuff more often? The only way I can think of having damaged it is that it was in my pocket when it was a bit rainy the other week - but it didn't get particularly wet and I can't imagine that'd have done any harm.

yep, they do.

Comment

Yes, I work with someone who has the ability to blow them up (he runs a lot of scripts off them).

Comment

Working...
      X