Google Chrome - new web browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Chrome - new web browser

It's hardly Penny Arcade, but theres an intro "cartoon" for Google's new browser here: http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

Launches tonight apparently.

I'll be interested in seeing if the name sticks as I've got a CD here with Microsoft Chrome written on it (proper label, not in TDK marker pen).

Definitely going to give this a try. Like the fact that they're using separate processes for tabs as this is something that Firefox in particular (Though it's better in 3) has trouble with.

Comment

Will it ever make it out of Beta? Still WebKit is a good foundation for a browser and the individual thread per tab is a good idea.
      Being Google though it'll no doubt push ads on you. Be interesting to give it a bash when the Mac version is released.
      Putting the tabs on top of the screen seems wrong especially on Windows as the tabs will be above the menu bar.

Comment

Perhaps there won't be a menu bar? I think the ads are going to be through the auto-complete function, which won't be too intrusive.

Comment

yay a fourth browser to test code on

joy

Comment

I'm posting this from Google Chrome right now.

Comment

Me too. Looks OK so far. Didn't scale up Paypal too well mind.

Comment

Will download and try it later, does it force loads of ads on you ?

Comment

None at the moment, but then I haven't done much browsing. I suspect most, if not all, of that will come from the 'Omnibox'. Renders incredibly quickly, I have to say, particularly if you use gmail.

Comment

It doesn't save scaling info either, so I have to ctrl-wheel every time I revisit a site like this one.

No doubt these little features will be worked out over time. I'm enjoying it so far.

I really like the idea of a crashing site only killing one tab instance.

Comment

I am also posting from the beyond of chrome

however i have nothing con....oh..it just grammar and spell checked my post on the fly...that's kind of handy

Comment

No Mac version yet, hopefully not too long to wait, I feel jealous

Comment

yep, initial impressions are pretty good. Just waiting for the inevitable 'security flaw' to be posted somewhere soon.No doubt it's being put through it's paces already.

Comment

seems very quick, even a shade faster than opera on my big desktop, yet to check on my Eee.

Comment

yeah I think its running pretty quick, and the spell checking feature is really nice

hmmm didnt import my bookmarks
                              Last edited by RobRoy; 02-09-2008, 20:52.

Comment

Working...
                              X