Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MegaDrive Language Switch Question - *RESOLVED!*

Hello,

I have a PAL copy of MegaGames Vol. 2 which I am using on my MegaDrive Mk.1, which I recently modified with 60Hz and JPN language switches.

When I turn on JPN mode (in either 50 or 60Hz), "Tales" changes to 'Miles' in two-player in Sonic 2, and the default language changes to Japanese in Super Monaco GP. This I took as confirmation that my JPN switch works correctly.

Here's where it gets interesting. Abhisara reports that using a seemingly identical copy of MegaGames Vol. 2 (we checked with photos, see here, too) on an Asian MD with similar switches in JPN mode, the start screen for Streets of Rage switches to Bare Knuckle, and affects a similar change for Revenge of Shinobi>Super Shinobi. My MD does not do this.

Any ideas why this might be? Could it be the switch (I am strictly an amateur!) or did they produce two (identical) versions of the game?

The only thing I note, apart from mine being a European console, is that it has the motherboard with the capacitor at point JP1 (which I understand is slightly more unusual).

Thanks for looking.

EDIT: I definitely have the MD switched to both 60Hz and JPN when turning on the MD.
    Last edited by egparadigm; 09-09-2008, 19:31.

I did see a guide once that involved tinkering around with the Capacitor on JP1, incorporating it into the switch. I've never done this though and never had a problem with my Streets of Rage 2 cart.

I've also recently tried it by removing the capacitor on JP1 completely, no I know Sega must have put it there for a reason but it's been working fine for the last month without it on, and recognising JPN and ENG modes.

(Just dropped your replacement case off, if you want me to try your cart on one of my consoles I will!)

ta
    Pete

Comment

It could be the combination of Language and Speed settings triggering changes.

NTSC & 60Hz
      NTSC & 50Hz
      PAL & 60Hz
      PAL & 50Hz

So there's four possible different states. I've no idea if this makes a difference, but it's the next thing I'd look at.
      Do you have both language and speed switches on yours? Mine does, but I can't remember much about them. Mine's a modded Asian MD, with basic toggle switches over the JPs.

Comment

Hey muddy - when you say NTSC and PAL, do you mean Japanese and English?

Japanese & 60hz = Japan
        English & 60hz = USA
        English & 50hz = Euro
        Japanese & 50hz = 4th mode probably not used

Comment

mmmonkey update: Despite being a complete electronics ignoramus, I took a leap of faith and removed the capacitor. The result? BARE KNUCKLE and Super Shinobi - yeah!

I guess that little bastard had something to do with region restrictions, then? Maybe you should add this information to your guide, hellbelly? (Can I have a mention?)

It does pose some interesting questions about the fact that with the capacitor you get certain game changes but not Japanese text (e.g. 'Miles' in Sonic 2).
          Last edited by egparadigm; 10-09-2008, 09:42.

Comment

Excellent. Enjoy the new title screen!

Comment

Working...
            X