No announcement yet.

XBMC for PC out now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another bug - Fails to display Japanese characters in file names. When I switched the Locale to Japanese (Shift-JIS), it fails to load completely.

Comment

im looking to build a media PC and was debating on what media program to use , either media portal,vistas inbuild media program or XBMC for windows ? can anyone help

Comment

There's no reason why you can't give them all a go, since the former and latter are open source... I say XBMC, myself.

Comment

Ive been using XBMC on xbox for a long time and like it a lot , but im getting tired of updating all the time becuase the scrapers keep going out of date , also i love the way you can luanch emulators and xbox games with custom art from the programs option on xbox but i here they have removed this option from later alantis builds

Was wonder if its is possible to luanch PC games and emus with the PC version and does it update scrapers automatically ? also wondering if you can use harmony remotes with XBMC and Media Portal for windows
          Thanks
          Last edited by trev1976; 11-10-2008, 15:34.

Comment

If XBMC doesn't do the remote thing, I've been using this brilliant little program called Intelliremote. It's donation-ware, and it's definitely worth it. It supports all range or remotes (and has a learning function, too) including the Wii remote, PS3 Bluray remote and the iPhone.

The only issue with it I've seen is on Vista, where there's a security thing stopping it running prior to the login screen so you can't use the remote to choose your username

Comment

ok nice thanks

Comment

What's this Media Portal? Any good? I've been looking for an ideal situation, too, seeing as Vista's Media Centre doesn't work properly for me using that Media Control thingy (playing divx/xvid/etc, the video stutters every minute or so. It may be to do with ffdshow but I just gave up after a while).

Since I got my PC six months ago, I've been using a combination of remote control and RealVNC to control it from the laptop. It's not an ideal situation as I can't use the PC exclusively with the remote control. I've been spoilt by xbmc on my xbox but since I got rid of it I've been hoping for a decent solution on the PC (it has no kb/mouse).

Windows Media Player works with the remote but it's not ideal, and there's no way for me to choose another video once the one I'm watching has finished. I could probably figure out an idiot-proof solution using Intelliremote (it lets you assign commands to every single button - either keyboard combos, mouse buttons, even shortcuts and scripts) but I just don't have the time.

I was hoping xbmc for the PC would be the answer but, of course, it's still in beta. I'll give it a go, though, just to see what happens...

Comment

MediaPortal is nice, I prefer it over Windows Media Centre because you have more flexibility. It supports a wide range of remotes out of the box, supports plugins, and uses Directshow too, so you can make it use CoreAVC or whatever. That said, I do prefer XBMC even in it's beta state.

Comment

Bump.

I'm loving it with my PS3 remote. Yes, thats right, PS3 blu-ray remote for controlling an application that started life on the Xbox. Its a funny old world...

This is running on my folks setup. Mine was a little too fusy to film, but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Rigbacq3o
                    Last edited by fahrenheit; 10-12-2008, 02:02. Reason: updated link

Comment

Had no idea you could use the PS3 remote on a PC. I do think the PS3 Bluetooth remote is excellent, and definately the remote I would want to use. On the path to a perfect media setup here.

Redownloaded XBMC today, I have no idea if it's newer than the previous beta, but I did discover the deinterlacing options this time, which is excellent for me because I have plenty of those. I could do with having more access to the features of ffmpeg mind... there's no Normalisation option on XBMC right now, which is something I consider critical to ffdshow (I'm the kind of guy audiophiles hate, who likes to give quiet AC3's a kick in the arse at software end).

Comment

Working...
                      X