Sky+ HD box question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sky+ HD box question

I'm getting my Sky+ upgraded to Sky+ HD this weekend (?75 plus ?30 installation offer on for this October only ).

Is there anything I should be aware of regarding the version of the box? For example, when I got Sky+ last year someone told me to make sure that I got a PVR3 box as they were the latest and most reliable version at the time. Would any similar advice be relevant with the HD box?

Also, I believe you get a freeby HDMI cable with it. I'd assume that it won't be the best quality, but wondered if anybody's using this cable and are just happy to stick with it (basically to save me having to order a new one).

Thanks for your help guys.

I use the cable that came with my box and it's fine. The same can't be said for the box though

Onto my 4th box in 18months of having it installed. The power supplies keep failing in them

If you get a choice and are offered stay away from the Thomson Box

Comment

They sound like a hoover when it uses the anytime function during the night so you might want to switch it off (mine keeps me awake some nights in my room its so damn loud).

Comment

Yikes! Am I buying a lemon here?

OK, if they offer (doubt it) I'll take the non-Thomson box then.

As for them sounding as loud as a Hoover, surely I'm not going to hear that all the way upstairs at night am I ?

Comment

You will be fine in a different room. No one has ever complained about the noise from my box when they have slept on the couch

Comment

Depends what model you got as I said mines one of the noisey ones as Skyanytime activates the fan continously. Im a light sleeper but I can happily sleep thru my PC with its fan blaring out in same room and thats less distance from my head than the Sky box but its the sky what wakes me up all the time.

Had Sky HD installed today, noticed that the Box (Thomson) seems rather noisy. Sounds like their is a fan inside which is working all the time. I can hear it above the normal viewing volume. Anyone else experienced this or are all Sky boxes noisy? Note I'm a new customer to Sky Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzyman View Post
              They sound like a hoover when it uses the anytime function during the night so you might want to switch it off (mine keeps me awake some nights in my room its so damn loud).
              I had to do the same, its not exactly 360 loud by a long shot but the slight noise of the fans was enough to wake me up most nights.

Comment

I use the bundled cable and it's fine, not a problem at all.

I have a Thomson box, it used to be trouble with locking up, then I plugged it in via a timer socket and had it switch off around 4 in the morning for 15 mins and it started to behave fine, as reliable as my old Sky+ box.

After a month I tried it without the timer, and it's been fine for months now.

Mate got one a few months back, he had loads of trouble with it until he put some feet on it to raise it up a bit and get the air going under it - since then it's been fine.

Oh, I have anytime turned off and never had the loud fan trouble.

Pete

Comment

Thanks for everyones help!

I'll give some or all of your suggestions a try if I start to have any trouble - and YIPPEE! I don't need to buy another HDMI cable

Comment

Working...
                  X