Wii Chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wii Chips

So I bought a cheap Japanese Wii on eBay that came with a load of pirate games so I'm assuming this means it's chipped. Having not had much experience with this kind of thing I would appriciate some advice:

Would I brick the Wii by updating it?

What does 'brick' actually mean?

Can I stop the Wii downloading updates/installing the ones on original games?

Are there any tutorials out there for turning off/removing the chip?
    Last edited by 12-51-00; 04-10-2008, 09:44.

Bricking it is to do an update to the internal firmware and for it to not work. Meaning that you have a lump of console that is as useful as a brick

Comment

I know that, but I've read Wii updates just blocks certain things, i.e. WiiWare/The internet stuff but the chipped Wiis still play games after they're 'bricked'.

Comment

I think I saw the auction you won. Didn't the seller already semi-brick it by installing a UK update on it?

Comment

Nah, Wii updates doesn't block anything besides fixing exploits. Bricking only occurs, if you install the wrong firmware region. If you want to play import games, install the homebrew channel and usbgecko.
          If the console is already bricked, check out http://savemii.net, pretty useful site that gives you information about how and if a console can be saved.

Comment

Originally posted by honeymustard View Post
            I think I saw the auction you won. Didn't the seller already semi-brick it by installing a UK update on it?
            No, this is running Ver. 3.1J and everything seems fine on it. I've tested it with Japanese WiiWare, official PAL Games and the pirate games it came with. All fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornflakes View Post
              Nah, Wii updates doesn't block anything besides fixing exploits. Bricking only occurs, if you install the wrong firmware region. If you want to play import games, install the homebrew channel and usbgecko.
              If the console is already bricked, check out http://savemii.net, pretty useful site that gives you information about how and if a console can be saved.
              Thanks for that, did an update and it all works fine!

Comment

Working...
              X