Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 HDD upgrade

Hi all

Having a lot of probs with this. Bought a western digital scorpio blue HDD and put it in my ps3 expecting it to work , alas it tells me i have a serious error. Phone up Sony they say "format it to fat 32". So off i go and connect it to my Pc.

Bios sees it , device manger sees it but it doesnt show up in my computer. Thinking its buggered i go onto WD's website and get the diagnostic tool. That says its fine. Run windows again and again bios sees it , device manager sees it but its not in my computer.

Any ideas?

Bri

right click on my computer and go to 'manage' then 'disk management' , does the drive show up there? it should be a large unformatted block, which you create a partition in and then format with a filesystem.

Comment

Windows does not see the disk because it's unformatted.
      You can format the disk with various tools, including Windows' own installation CD; Partition Magic, even in its shareware/demo form should be able to fully format the disk; if not, Ultimate Boot CD works fine and has a lot of formatting tools, both for novices or advanced users.
      If you are unsure about what you're doing, you can always unplug all working HDDs from your PC before attempting to format the new disk.

However, it sounds strange that the PS3 wasn't capable of recognizing and formatting a new HDD, I installed a WD Scorpio too without any problems.
      Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 05-10-2008, 16:57. Reason: grammar

Comment

ok disk management sees it as unformatted but will only format it as ntfs. Looks like a prog is needed for some reason to format.

bri

Comment

yeah, you won't be able to format a drive that large to FAT32 as it has a 32GB max size. however, you can get a command line tool to do such a thing. let me google a second.

This should work, make sure you choose the correct partition though. hehe, I usually use a command line DOS tool but this one is more intuitive.

Comment

well ive got the computer d/ling that ultimate bood cd thing briareos mentioned so was going to give that a whirl.

But also when i messing around with the ps3 it asked to put the latet update on via some media , so i put it on a mem stick and external HDD but each time it errored out for some reason.

bri

Comment

Maybe it wasn't in the right place.

Explore the new generation PlayStation 4 and PS5 consoles - experience immersive gaming with thousands of hit games in every genre to rewrite the rules for what a PlayStation console can do.

\PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP (case is apparently important but I doubt it because FAT32 doesn't preserve case anyway)

Comment

I chucked the spare 120gig drive from my acer one (ntfs) the ps3 saw it and formatted it for me. Think it only has problems with brand new drives.

Comment

Kernow gets a big hug from me.

Yep the update wasnt in the right place. I put it on the root of my memory stick and it should have been in <mem stick>:PS3/UPDATE/<file here>

You would have thought that the sony rep would have said that to me on friday but no.

Anyway thanks to kern and everyone else for the quick replies and hope this thread helps someone else in the future.

Bri

Comment

Originally posted by bwi View Post
                    Kernow gets a big hug from me.
                    oof! you big man bear.. !

Comment

lmao whats alex been telling you

bri

Comment

haha, he just said you're tall thats all, don't worry, nothing *too* bad. cough

Comment

That's right gay it up boys!

Comment

Room for one more! You sexy bear.

Comment

Working...
                            X