Desktop PC For Occasional Gaming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop PC For Occasional Gaming.

Been away from desktops for a few years now but have just aquired a Packard Bell tower and plan to upgrade slowly.All opinions welcome.

The specs are pentium 4 3.06ghz,nvidia 6200LE 64mb pci-e and 512mb dimm ddr2.

First i need to get a monitor and was looking at something like:http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...ory_oid=-35052

The memory will also be changed.Currently it has a micron 512mb dimm ddr2(according to sisoft sandra check) and i need some recommendations as the options are vast.According to sisoft the board can take upto 4gb of memory.

Did see this:http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/539982...y/Product.html

Does Win XP only see 3.2 GB of ram even if 4GB is fitted.Remember seeing something like that but cant remember where.

I plan to start out with older games so hopefully the graphics card will be able to cope in the short term.

Fire away with advice and links.
    Last edited by JB@XL; 05-10-2008, 22:31.

It's any 32bit windows will only recognize 3.2gb ram. That includes the standard XP. If you get XP 64bit/ Vista 64bit then it could recognize more. Vista 32bit will also only recognize 3.2gb too.

Comment

That is barely a graphics card. Last I looked, any nVidia x200 series is based on the GeForce 2 GPU. So that's about 10 years old or so.

Lowest spec card to even consider is the nVidia 9600. I've seen the superior nVidia 8800GT (512 version, avoid the 320 and 640 as they're older tech) on sale for under £50 recently, can't remember where. TBH the only card I'd get now is the ATI 4850, around £100, stunning card for the money

Comment

Originally posted by Chain View Post
        That is barely a graphics card. Last I looked, any nVidia x200 series is based on the GeForce 2 GPU. So that's about 10 years old or so.

Which makes it retro so no more insults .

Comment

You asked for advice. I gave you some very good advice. That's not an insult. The card is crap.

Comment

Unfortunately with PC hardware there's no such thing as retro, it just becomes outdated or obsolete*. Older games (such as from 2001 or earlier) should be fine on that setup, but you would need to look at upgrading when you decide to try some newer titles than that.

I personally wouldn't buy more than 2GB for your setup (get 2x1GB sticks so that you can utilise dual channel - I assume your motherboard supports it). You would also need to check the interface type (AGP or PCI-E) should you upgrade your graphics card.

*With the possible exception of 3DFX graphics cards.
            Last edited by Hohum; 06-10-2008, 23:54.

Comment

1: Check your MB manufacturers website for the fastest RAM you can install and stick 2 GB in it

2: Change the GFX card for either an 8000 series (GT at least) or a 9000 series.

3: Keep XP, DO NOT install vista as it will hog all your resources and if you wanna play games, this system is ill equipped to lose any grunt to the OS when its needed for games processing.

4: Nonsense to say it will ony play games before 2001 (No offense Hohum ). I guarantee that if you make the upgrades, you will get games like Bioshock running, and at a decent rate, obviously with the settings toned down but still decent. You should be fine on a lot of the new software other than the obvious like Crysis, AoC etc.

You may need to install certain GFX patches to get some of the Vista games working, like Bioshock. Not difficult tho.

Comment

It's a P4 3.06GHz. While it may not be dual core, it's still very game capable if coupled with a half decent graphics card and 2GB RAM (or the maximum your board allows) running in dual channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Chain View Post
                  You asked for advice. I gave you some very good advice. That's not an insult. The card is crap.

Easy tiger.Only joking about retro,i know its slightly less powerful than the ATI 4850

I have priced some components and will probably build a decent system(last built one when agp graphic cards were in fashion) and let my little girl use the packard bell.

Rough specs are:

Asrock P43R mobo with 2.0 X 16 pci-e
                  Core 2 quad 2.4
                  2GB Geil ddr2 (probably fit 3GB)
                  250gb h/drive
                  Tsunami case with 600w psu.

This little lot comes to just under ?300 with the graphics card and monitor still to be decided.

Comment

How much are you willing to spend on the Monitor/graphics card?

As Chain said HD4850 is a very capable card - beats Nvidas 9800GTX, 8800GTS, Gt etc…
                    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148468
                    £113.85

Not sure what monitor size you’re going for but the absolute best bang for buck 24” monitor out there is the Benq G2400w.
                    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139277/show_product_reviews
                    £245.52

1920x1200, 1:1 pixel mapping, extremely fast response time, and perfectly pre-set colours. Check the Hardforum for glowing feedback.

Obvious drawback is if you’re gaming at 1920x1200 you might need a beefy card in the future to power it.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-054-LG
                    £182.11

If you’re going the 22” route then the LG L227WT is pretty decent. No 1:1 pixel mapping but at 1650x1080 with a HD4850 your games would run butter smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis View Post
                      4: Nonsense to say it will ony play games before 2001 (No offense Hohum )
                      None taken, however I'm referring to it in terms of its current spec. Obviously you could use it for newer titles after upgrading RAM/GFX etc, but with it's current spec... 2001 or earlier. The standard 6200 is too weedy for anything newer, and the 'LE' version is even slower... hell, it has half the fillrate of a standard 6200.
                      Last edited by Hohum; 07-10-2008, 14:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                        How much are you willing to spend on the Monitor/graphics card?

Hopefully have around ?300 to spend on graphics card and monitor.Got a home cinema package,360 elite and a 360 hd-dvd drive with some hd-dvds,all recently bought, for sale elsewhere to get the funds together.

I chose the mobo because it has the 2 X 16 pci-e to get the best out of the HD 4850.

Monitor size will probably be around 24".

Comment

The monitor's the longest lasting piece of kit you'll be picking up so (unless you're willing to spend the extra ?50/?60) there?s no point spending more cash on a 4850; especially when it'll be cheaper after Christmas.

If you go for the G2400W (?245) then eBay an 8800GT (or GTS 512mb) you?ll still be able to whack everything to high detail at 1920x1200 : tbh as much as people bang on about ATI being the bees knees a GT or GTS will still deliver 60fps (at 1920x1200) in 99% of games; it?s just Crysis and Supreme Commander that need that bit extra.

Comment

Working...
                          X