PS3 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 Questions

Probably going to pick one of these up soonish. I know there's a few different models - some are backwards compatible and some aren't etc. Aside from the harddrive size, what are the differences between the 40gb and 60gb, and any other models if there are any others? Are the later models much more reliable as with the 360?

And, are games for the most part region free? I've seen a few jap machines floating about the forums here and I don't know whether I'd be ok playing pal games on one...

Originally posted by Champloo View Post
    Are the later models much more reliable as with the 360?
    This is new on me.

Anyway, PS3's are meant to be *generally* much more reliable (bar some fan always on, noisy and BR issues on some PAL early models).

Comment

I am assuming we're talking UK machines here. The UK 60GB machines have software PS2 backwards compatibility, as well as memory stick slots and 4x USB. The 40GB (and any newer revision since then) have no PS2 compatiblity whatsoever, no memory stick slots and only 2x USB's.

If we're talking US or JP machines, the US 40GB is comparable to the UK one. The US/JP 60GB is arguably the best revision, with full hardware PS2 backwards compatibility, memory stick slots and 4x USB. The discontinued 20GB is the only other revision to have hardware PS2 backwards compatibility.

All revisions have PS1 compatiblity, because this is done in pure software. Newer machines aren't really more reliable - they're not unreliable to begin with. This is 360 mentality. Do note that all machines can have memory sticks slots and USB's added by generic PC USB hubs and the like, and you can upgrade HDD - it's a standard laptop SATA, and this is supported by Sony.

Games are region free. There are a small handful of games that set language based on your console region, but these are extremely few and seems to be an almost discontinued practice. Some games also dictate online servers based on console region.

Comment

One thing i did notice when i compared my ps3 (JPN, 20gb) to my friend's one (UK, 40gb) is that mine blows out hot air where his is completely cool air.

Another friend of mine says his JPN 60gb also blows out hot air.

Also apparently some of the ports in the back of the 20gb/40gb are in different places.

20gb one has no wireless internet as well.

Comment

Originally posted by KusoGaki View Post
          20gb one has no wireless internet as well.
          I have a US 20GB, upgraded to 120GB. It has no memory stick slots, though they can be added by USB device if needed. It does have 4x USB slots, which is handy. The lack of wireless is annoying, and the only way this can be added to the 20GB is using a wireless bridge. All PS3's have gigabit ethernet though, so some people might not want to use the wireless anyway.

Realistically though, the 20GB is much scarcer than the US 60GB, and anyone wanting hardware backwards compatiblity would probably find a US 60GB is easier to find. To be honest though, I tried the software backwards compatibility on my mate's machine and it seemed rather good, though he seemed to lack the ability to change the scaling ratio.

Comment

Brilliant. I don't think there's actually much in it between the different models for me, as I can keep my ps2 and larger hdd size, memory slots etc probably wouldn't get used.

Cheers for all the super quick responses.

Comment

Working...
            X