Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new HD telly - worth upgrading 360 from VGA to HDMI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new HD telly - worth upgrading 360 from VGA to HDMI?

Hey there,

Ive set my sights on buying a Sony KDL40W4000 HD telly and will be playing my 360 on it via VGA to get 1080p images (from what I remember component only handles up to 720p right?).

Since i'm shelling out on the new telly is it worth me upgrading my xbox to the HDMI supported version or is there negligable difference between VGA and HDMI signals in these cases?

Component handles 1080p. But does your TV take 1080P over VGA / Component?

Comment

I find HDMI's colours to be very dark compared to VGA. So I stick with that. But obviously HDMI will be sharper as it's a 'true' digital signal. You also have audio and visual through one cable which is convineient.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        Component handles 1080p. But does your TV take 1080P over VGA / Component?
        Good question. Would the manufacturers website usually hold that info?

Originally posted by Malc View Post
        I find HDMI's colours to be very dark compared to VGA. So I stick with that. But obviously HDMI will be sharper as it's a 'true' digital signal. You also have audio and visual through one cable which is convineient.
        Thanks, that makes me feel more secure with my current set up.

Comment

Depends if you play a lot of the classics that can't be played over vga connection.

Comment

VGA in theory will be slightly fuzzier but it all depends on how good the internals of the TV are.

Comment

Originally posted by davidcotton View Post
              Depends if you play a lot of the classics that can't be played over vga connection.

By classics you you mean original xbox games?

Comment

Originally posted by Briareos View Post
                Good question. Would the manufacturers website usually hold that info?
                Download the manual and have a look mate. Thats how i found out mine would only accept 1080P over HDMI and "forced" me to get a newer 360

I've found HDMI to be a better picture. But it all depends on the display at the end of the day.

Comment

I dont think it will do 1080p via vga it will be either 720p or 1368x768 if its anything like my Sony X or parents 40W in living room. You will either have to settle for component via 1080p or get a HDMI unit. I was forced to get a elite as my Sony X only handles 1080p via hdmi. Its sharper and clearer so never complained since!

Comment

Each display device handles each connection type differently, so while HDMI might look better on one TV, VGA might look better on another and so forth.

Comment

I've just had to buy an elite (due to my old 360 dieing) and i find the picture is alot better through HDMI, although the colours are not quite as bold. Makes it a damn sight easier for me tho, i dont have to keep unplugging my laptop via VGA anymore to play my 360.

Comment

Sony W/X models look better on HDMI/component over VGA though. Colours are down to by default VGA is always brighter but more washed out and HDMI/VGA is darker but more colour you just have to alter your settings. Again on Sony W/X models theirs more options on HDMI/Component than VGA and of course you can do full pixel at 1080p

Ive checked as its same model as parents and 1080p is via component and hdmi only(march model this year).

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys! I guess I''l have to upragde the old xbox to an HDMI version, the old girl has lasted me since the original Oblivion!

Slightly off topic (but not enough to warrant a new thread), when I upgrade I know I should take the hard drive and pop it on the new box and do an account recovery. I read on Kotaku that there is a problem playing arcade offline with a different box? Do Microsoft have to move my account over somehow?

Comment

You don't need to recover your account as the gamertag will in on the HDD.
                            But as all the 360s come with 60GB HDDs you'll want to use that anyway, so you will need to recover it and re download anything.

You'll have to reauthorise the stuff on the HDD so you can play it offline though.
                            You can do this once every 12 months
                            Last edited by EvilBoris; 06-11-2008, 14:55.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                              You don't need to recover your account as the gamertag will in on the HDD.
                              But as all the 360s come with 60GB HDDs you'll want to use that anyway, so you will need to recover it and re download anything.

You'll have to reauthorise the stuff on the HDD so you can play it offline though.
                              You can do this once every 12 months
                              So If I want to use the new hard drive I can download my gamertag back off live using account recovery but I guess i need to port my game saves over on a memory card?

Comment

Working...
                              X