360 VGA Vs HDMI - Round One, FIGHT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

360 VGA Vs HDMI - Round One, FIGHT!

Sooo I realise I'm a bit late to the 360-via-HDMI party but I feel it's something worth bringing up, not least because I have a few issues to resolve. I know a lot of what I'm about to talk about depends on your TV but I'd be interested to hear what you all think - especially regarding how to tweak for optimal colours, performance etc for both.

I've been using VGA since just after they 'fixed' the black levels / colours problem with a dash update. However, having just taken delivery of a HDMI model 360 I decided to give that a whirl and now I'm not sure which to stick with. It's not really a like-for-like comparison because each seems to work slightly differently on my TV (A Samsung LE32-somethingorother bought in 2007).

VGA's biggest advantage is it lets me output in my TV's native resolution (1366x768) so it's razor-sharp and overscan free. My TV is also set up to not molest VGA input with any post-processing so it's as lag-free as possible. Unfortunately I've always had a problem with the colours - reds look kind of pink, most colours are pretty washed out and I'm losing a lot of detail in dark areas. Changing the 'reference levels' option in the dash only seems to affect how bright the blacks are rather than the colours per se. Bearing in mind I'm using an LCD it's a nightmare to get nice black levels without losing detail, or, at the other end of the scale, getting strong colours without making the blacks look grey.

As for HDMI, it only lets me output 'official' HD resolutions so I've been testing it in 720p, which is obviously having to be upscaled very slightly by my TV. I'm using Just Scan so it's overscan free and the TV is getting the biggest possible image to work with in upscaling. The overall effect is a barely noticeable loss of sharpness in things like menus and text, but also a prominent jagginess in angled lines. There's also a couple of wierd artefacts which I believe are related to this - firstly, heavily detailed textures (like Gears 2) take on a shimmering effect at mid-distance due to aliasing; and secondly, some in-game effects like motion blur (in say Gears 2 or The Orange Box) have become almost completely unnoticable.

At the moment I'm edging towards living with this though as the difference in colour is just jaw-dropping. All colours are noticeably more vibrant and rich. In games with muted pallettes like CoD4 there's barely any difference but Gears 2 and Left 4 Dead are like completely different games. In areas with strong lights in an otherwise dark environment like the Hollow in GoW2 and the Death Toll episode of Left 4 Dead the difference is astounding.

Something else I should mention is, I haven't noticed any significant difference between the two so far as picture lag is concerned - although VGA is probably technically better (exact resolution, no upscaling etc) I haven't noticed any meaningful difference with HDMI.

With both having advantages and disadvantages I'm interested to hear what other people have chosen and why. I'm also interested in hearing how people have tweaked the colours etc with VGA - if I can get good colours from VGA that would win hands down.
    Last edited by MattyD; 24-11-2008, 17:43.

I've been using VGA for over two years and never looked back, unless it was a 50 Hz only game and component had to be used, but I recently got a Pro as a second console at another house and am using HDMI and have to say I prefer it to VGA and am thinking about replacing my Premium with a HDMI 360, plus it would give me a cooler running Falcon.

Comment

I think you summed it up in your post that it how your TV/monitor handles the input that will decide your connection not the 360 so it will vary from set to set. I'm personally using component as that is what is free on my TV and my 360 doesn't have HDMI.

Comment

VGA outputs a completely untouched signal, whereas HDMI typically goes through processing. This isn't an issue in itself because the signal is supposed to go through that process, but it means the quality of the image relies much more on the TV's ability to handle the signal properly. Generally with VGA, you can get away with a really nice image even on a TV with mediocre processing capabilities.

The fact that VGA typically allows a greater range or resolutions (and significantly for non-1080p screens, native resolution) is another bonus, as it the lack of overscan as standard. That said, if the 360 detects the connection over HDMI is actually DVI, it will allow you to select between the various PC resolutions. If your TV's HDMI has separate 'TV' and 'PC' modes, this is the difference - in 'PC' mode, the 360 will see it as DVI.

At the end of the day, it does come down to what looks best on your screen. That said, 1360x768 VGA on my Bravia back home, over VGA looks better than any HDMI picture I've ever seen.

Comment

I use game mode to turn off all the processing but as you say it must at least be upscaled to fit the TV's non-standard native res. The difference in colour quality really makes it for me though. I spent a while trying to improve the colours by playing with the colour settings over VGA and I couldn't even get close to the same richness or vibrancy.

Comment

on a 1080p display, HDMI takes top honours thanks to 50Hz support and no overscanning. But on a non-1080p display, its going to come down to priorities.

50Hz support is not just for backwards compatibility either, any 25fps video material will also get forced to 60Hz if you are using VGA.

Comment

I think ive got the same samsung TV MattyD. I use the VGA on mine. If you google Samsung Optimum Settings then a nice fella on AV Forums has done most of the hard work for the best set up via VGA for your 360 as well as the settings for HDMI and ps3 setups. I find that the black levels, once optimised, are much deeper and the colours bolder then HDMI.

Comment

On my display (Toshiba WLT68) I find HDMI outperforms VGA.

I used the daftly expensive Monster VGA cable (commonly accepted as the best Xbox 360 VGA cable) for about a year but then bought an Elite and switched over to a QED HDMI cable of similar value (£50ish) and, initially, didn't notice much difference between the two. After leaving the HDMI cable plugged in for a few days however and then going back to VGA I noticed a small, albeit definite, drop in picture quality. VGA, in comparison, was a touch more fuzzy and a touch grainier. But, really, there's not much in it.

Comment

samsung le40fb71

HDMI no contest

vga washed out, dull ,etc HDMI crisp, bright, vibrant colours

depends on your panel and your own preference i suppose

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                    On my display (Toshiba WLT68) I find HDMI outperforms VGA.

I used the daftly expensive Monster VGA cable (commonly accepted as the best Xbox 360 VGA cable) for about a year but then bought an Elite and switched over to a QED HDMI cable of similar value (?50ish) and, initially, didn't notice much difference between the two. After leaving the HDMI cable plugged in for a few days however and then going back to VGA I noticed a small, albeit definite, drop in picture quality. VGA, in comparison, was a touch more fuzzy and a touch grainier. But, really, there's not much in it.
                    I've always found that I get banding or interference from VGA on my WLT68 which I can always see when the screen is darker.
                    ALthough I prefer that to the overscan of HDMI

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                      VGA, in comparison, was a touch more fuzzy and a touch grainier.
                      Are you sure you had your 360 set to match your TVs native resolution? That could also be due to the TV settings, especially sharpness, being too high. If your TV doesn't allow each source to have its own settings saved in memory that's probably it.

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                      I've always found that I get banding or interference from VGA on my WLT68 which I can always see when the screen is darker.
                      Ah, this could be down to clock/phase settings needing adjustment. You get the same on laptop / PC monitors if they're not properly adjusted. On TVs the appropriate setting is often called 'coarse/fine' or 'focus'. If your TV has an auto-adjust then try that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
                        Are you sure you had your 360 set to match your TVs native resolution? That could also be due to the TV settings, especially sharpness, being too high. If your TV doesn't allow each source to have its own settings saved in memory that's probably it.
                        Had the resolution through VGA set to 1360x768, all artificial picture 'enhancing' gizmos (except 100Hz Active processing) switched off and all picture settings including contrast, sharpness, etc. were set to within fractions of those recommended by videophiles over at AVForums - I just tweaked them a tiny, tiny bit to my own liking.

I think, ultimately, people's eyesight and preferences come into play when voicing what picture settings/cables produce the best results and two people looking at the same thing will often see two different 'pictures'.

Comment

Weird, on my TV thru HDMI and using 'optimal' 360 settings the resolution (according the the XBox, not the TV - which is unabel to report the input resolution it seems) is 1280 x 768. So it's scaling the horizontal but not the vertical if I understand it correctly?

Anyway, I'm waiting for an HDMI cable for my 360. I borrowed the PS3's just to try it out. Using component I have to set the 360 to 1080i because in 720p the TV goes into a weird interlace kinda mode. My Wii used to cause this on occasion in 480p as well but a quick power off and then on of the TV always fixed it. With the 360 this is not the case. I guess my TV is at fault although my PS2 and PS3 thru component were always perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
                            Ah, this could be down to clock/phase settings needing adjustment. You get the same on laptop / PC monitors if they're not properly adjusted. On TVs the appropriate setting is often called 'coarse/fine' or 'focus'. If your TV has an auto-adjust then try that as well.
                            I don't really understand how to use the clock/phase settings, i've twiddled them in the past to try and remove it with no avail.

Comment

Originally posted by FullSpecWarrior View Post
                              Weird, on my TV thru HDMI and using 'optimal' 360 settings the resolution (according the the XBox, not the TV - which is unabel to report the input resolution it seems) is 1280 x 768. So it's scaling the horizontal but not the vertical if I understand it correctly?
                              I've noticed this too on the 720p TV I use HDMI on with my secondary console.

I use VGA on my primary console and the TV it's connected to is a 1366x768 resolution so I use the 1360x768 setting for as close to 1:1 pixel mapping as possible, but I have seen recommendations for 1280x768, or it may have been 1280x720, with VGA for some reason. I can't remember why though.

Comment

Working...
                              X