PS3 Power Supply Faulty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 Power Supply Faulty?

EDIT - Wrong forum, can't believe I did that. Goes in the Console Support section.

I've had my US PS3 since launch, and all has been good. However, when I turn it on at the back, while is does turn on and work, some crackling noises come from the back (presumably the power supply), and persist once the machine is turned on. Quite frankly, I'm scared to turn it on now.

Obviously I have no warranty, and significantly it's a unit with hardware backwards compatiblity. Short of buying a new unit (and I may have to), is there anything I can do to repair it? Such as replacing the power supply myself?

If I have to buy a new unit... I'd miss the PS2 compatibility because I do use it, and it'd have to be a US or Japanese unit because I need Region A Blu-Ray compatibility. Gah =(
    Last edited by sj33; 27-11-2008, 19:46.

Perhaps it needs a clean? Get a compressed air canister and give it a blast?

(Will move now).

Comment

It seems to be behaving right now... certainly was giving me quite a scare though, and I'm going to be weary about it... don't wanna go burning down the student accomodation!

Comment

If I turn mine on slowly there is some crackling... wouldn't worry about it really.

Comment

I'm pretty convinced it's the power switch itself causing the problem here. I'm one who likes to turn off the console when not in use (rather than leaving it in standby). Best thing to do is probably to leave the switch alone, and turn it off on the wall when required.

Comment

Working...
          X