Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gamestation Console Swap Policy (PS3 System Software 2.53 Bricked My Machine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gamestation Console Swap Policy (PS3 System Software 2.53 Bricked My Machine)

Morning All,

Last night I installed System Software v2.53 on my 80GB PS3. All went well, but when it came time to reboot the PS3 didn't recover. Instead it very quickly showed an amber light, produced a triple beep and then started flashing red.

After some Googling it seems that this is terminal, non of the "Press the power button for 5 seconds" tricks work. I've tried removing the HDD but it still doesn't get any further. Sigh.

So, I phoned Sony and they said it was "overheating". My arse, it's clearly related to a bad firmware update of some sort. They offered me an exchange with a refurbished unit. This really isn't something I want to do, why should I swap my (admittedly broken) mint PS3 for some smeggy refurb unit?

So, I'm going to try and return it to Gamestation. I still have the receipt but I bought it in August (when the 80GB was release). What do you think my changes are of getting them to swap it for a new one?

Cheers.

You can DEMAND a new unit mate. Quote Sale of goods to Consumers 2002. Do not take no for an answer. They are breaking the law if they refuse.

Comment

That's right yeah - just be careful if they try and worm their way out of it - only agents of the 3 gaming companies can legally refuse you, and Gamestation certainly aren't. Some employees have it in their heads however that Microsoft are demanding that all 360s go straight back to them in case of fault, even within the store's 12 month warranty period!

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
        Some employees have it in their heads however that Microsoft are demanding that all 360s go straight back to them in case of fault, even within the store's 12 month warranty period!
        There was something sent down by Microsoft so those employees are just following orders really but usually if you continue to argue your point the member of staff gives in and you get your exchange.

Comment

Within the first six months, it is up to the store to prove that there is no fault with the machine. Since it won't even start up, you're pretty much bullet proof. I don't imagine you'll get any trouble from them - you should feel confident about getting a replacement from GS.

Comment

I thought that was for the entire 12 months? For 6 months there should be absolutely no argument.

Comment

I thought that was for the entire 12 months? For 6 months there should be absolutely no argument.

From the 2002 regulations:
              goods which do not conform to the contract of sale at any time within the period of six months starting with the date on which the goods were delivered to the buyer must be taken not to have so conformed at that date.
              EDIT: Just an FYI Beatnik. I had a refurb 60gig sent to me by Sony and it was indistinguishable from new. I had to accept a refurb because there were no more 60gigs in the shops.

Comment

This is great news, thanks for the universal message

I'm pretty shocked at Sony trying to palm me off with a refurb unit. I'll head to Gamestation tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Cheers guys.

EDIT: Thanks for that info FullSpecWarrior, nice to know the refurb units are in good condition.

Comment

What FullSpecWarrior's quote is saying is that if its in the first six months, it must have been there when the machine was sold. You still have a contract with the store from 6-12 months, but, during that period it is up to the consumer to prove the fault.

Most shop assistants might not know this, however, and usually a shop like GS would want to keep the customer happy and offer a 'no quibbles' return.

Comment

Just to conclude this thread. I returned to console to Gamestation on Thursday and they just swapped it for a brand new one. They guy didn't even check it Result!

I've spent the weekend downloading all the various games and updates I had installed. The only problem was with the SingStore purchses which seem to be tied to a console ID instead of a PSN account. I called Sony and they said that they would move the purchases onto my new machine, it should be sorted within 7 working days.

Cheers all.

Comment

I had the same singstore issue Beatnik, Sony just credited my PSN account with about &#163;15 (it'd have to be way more than that now lol!) and they did that in < 24 hours.

Comment

Working...
                      X