Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive and related questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive and related questions

I've been considering one as I understand films can be picked up cheaply. (I refuse to have anything to do with Bluray at current prices.) So... are they good value at 35 quid inc P&P?

Is http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/relea...istorical.html the canonical list of releases? I don't see that many of the all-time greats there, although there are enough good films there to tempt me.

Can anyone point me to a good site or sites to purchase the fabled cheap HD-DVDs (I'm happy to import but the pound is weak...), or is it just a case of trawling Ebay?

HMV became popular a few months ago when they were selling HD DVDs for as little as ?2.99 but I'm not sure what the HD DVD market's like now though. At those prices I bought films I didn't even want the first time around on DVD.

I got my HD DVD add-on when it was first released and still have it now. I've also got a Toshiba HD-XE1 and the upscaling on it is superb and region free firmware is available for its DVD playback.

Comment

HMV were probably the best place to pick them up cheap.

Their selection is pretty limited now but they still have some around the 3 quid mark:

Amazon & Play.com also had them at similar prices but think they are probably all done now.

Also worth trying your local Gamestation too as I noticed a few for approx. £4 in the Edinburgh Princess Street store a couple of weeks back.
      Last edited by tom-nook; 15-12-2008, 22:23.

Comment

You've missed out on the main deals at hmv now mate, they still have a few left but only around 40 or so and the delivery time now says 48hours rather than ships immediately. Also worth noting that the shipping time for these discs is 5-7 days and that certain hd-dvd are shipping with the box and no disc!
        Play have started doing a few for £2.99, and they have the special edition of Full Metal Jacket for a fiver. I have 40 odd HD's as opposed to 2 blu-ray's simply becuase they could be bought for so cheap and they're are some corkers like 'The Thing', 'Space 2001' etc. that were so expensive on BR...
        Being a regular HD hunter (I check all the key sites daily, like a spod) I can confirm most of the deals have, or are starting, to dry up mate so get one while you can!
        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Dang, I never have time to get into the best deals whilst they're on. Have ordered a few from HMV and will keep my ear to the ground.

I suspect that prices of media items will go down in the new year, so maybe there will be another chance to grab some more then...

Edit: Oh, and thanks to all ^^ for the info.

Comment

Further to the above, I see that CEX are still selling HD DVDs. I know they're crapsters but I might go and have a look just in case they're trying to get rid.

Escape, I didn't see any 2.99s on play.com - you got a useful link? A search on the site for hd dvd brings up loads of expensive region 1 stuff (not that the region matters).

Comment

HMV have a load of HD-DVDs from £2.99 - click

Comment

Been there, done that. ^^ Thanks anyway.

Comment

Gamestation still have some in-store for £4.99.

Comment

A friend picked up some cheap (around a fiver) HD-DVD's from here the other week

Don't think there is loads left now by the looks of it.

Comment

Gamestation still have some in-store for £4.99.
                      Dropped to £2.99 and £3.99now, picked up Mad Max 2 yesterday for three quid.

Dixons have the same supplier as Sendit, thehut and Asda. Picked up the Motorcycle diaries new from Amazon in HD for a fiver and got it delivered in two days. Also check out sendit and thehut for Brotherhood of the Wolf for a fiver, a fairly rare HD only released in U.K and France like La Haine etc.

Escape, I didn't see any 2.99s on play.com - you got a useful link? A search on the site for hd dvd brings up loads of expensive region 1 stuff (not that the region matters).
                      Search for 300 on Hd-DVD then click the HD-DVD's for 2.99 link.
                      Last edited by Escape-To-88; 24-12-2008, 10:51.
                      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Hello there, I picked up a HD DVD player from these very forums, it was mainly to use as a DVD disc holder and player while my 360 holds the game. Anyhow after installing the software it says I can select to eject disc and play disc by selecting either the top or the bottom of the Disc Tray, now problem is, this software was before NXE, so you can no longer see this tray selection at the bottom of the screen nor on the guide button. So any HD DVD users and owners, can you help me out, how do I select the HD DVD Drive. Thank you for your help.

EDIT : I have found it, but it wont read any DVD's? Any help regarding that? Thank you.
                        Last edited by Holio; 11-02-2010, 07:57.

Comment

Select My Xbox then just keep pressing right until you get the HD DVD tab.

Comment

Hello, thank you for your help and I had just found it as you replied, however the new problem is it doesnt want to play DVD's, and I dont have any HD DVD's to check on it just yet. Anyone got any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                            X