Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox 360 - 2 red lights

Hi guys,

One of the lads on my course is having a prob with his 360 so I said I'd ask our 'in-house' experts!

Basically he is getting 2 red lights on his 360 & the fan seems to be going full blast (overheating issue?). Sometimes he gets the prob as soon as he turns the 360 on whereas other times it run ok for a few mins before the prob starts. When it happens the screen goes blank and no error message is displayed.

Any ideas what the problem might be and if it's likely to develop into the infamous 3 rrod (which would be good as it's > 12 months old)?

Any info / suggestions greatly appreciated
    Last edited by tom-nook; 29-01-2009, 12:29.

Have a look through this.

Comment

2 red lights Mark is overheating, you are right. Has it had a jolt recently, as the heatsinks may have come away from the chip dies if so?

The 360 probably thinks they are not there, hence the fans coming on to compensate.

Comment

I would suggest he books it in online (xbox.com) and put intermittent 3 red lights. They never seem to check.

Comment

Thanks Nick - I thought you'd be along shortly to help (didn't even need to send the bat signal)!

He didn't mention dropping / jolting it but will ask. Can theheatsinks also come away of their own accord too (e.g. not enough thermal paste)?

I'll suggest he logs the details on xbox.com. The only prob I can think of is that he bought it second hand so it may be registered to the previous owner. May have been a friend though in which case he'd be ok.

Originally posted by Paulos G View Post
          Have a look through this.
          Thanks Paul. I'll also get him to look at this too just in case he's got it wedged in a drawer or something daft.
          Last edited by tom-nook; 29-01-2009, 16:17.

Comment

Originally posted by tom-nook View Post
            Can theheatsinks also come away of their own accord too (e.g. not enough thermal paste)?
            It's unlikely, but i have had one before that did the same thing. Took it apart and reseated everything and it worked fine. Were talking degrees here, so it's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Wavey Pavey View Post
              It's unlikely, but i have had one before that did the same thing. Took it apart and reseated everything and it worked fine. Were talking degrees here, so it's possible.
              Good - I can give him some stick for being a hamfisted oaf then

I'll get him to try the MS repair route. If the console has already been registered or he doesn't fancy telling porkies then I'll suggest he ebays it and puts the cash toward a new arcade. Probably won't work out any more expensive than paying for a repair + return p&p (esp. if he sells the pad / psu / memory card etc.).

Thanks again

Comment

If its registered I would look at it for him, 6 quid odd to post via Parcel Force.

One ooption for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Wavey Pavey View Post
                  If its registered I would look at it for him, 6 quid odd to post via Parcel Force.

One ooption for him.
                  That's very decent of you Nick

I'll get him to check the position re. registration but if he does hit any probs I'll give you a shout. I'm sure he'd be more than willing to chip in some cash on top as a "thank you" for your time (repair & trips to the p.o. etc.) & any materials used.

Thanks again,
                  Mark

Comment

Working...
                  X