Monitor Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor Recommendations?

Need to get the old man a monitor to use with a G4 tower, preferably about 17 to 20 inch. What do any of you guys have, any stand out more than others?

Thanks.

Dell 2007FP picked up on eBay for c £150. 1600 x 1200 might be too small for an old feller's eyes, but I find it perfect for OS X, and I recently bought two of them (used as a pair). A customer of mine is looking to buy one this week.

Some bitch that there's a "lottery" involved in buying these because Dell used two different types of panel in this model number, but in reality both panel types are very good - everyone who's getting upset about this is pursuing the one that's better for gaming, but the other type has better black levels.

IMO this is a very nice monitor - the bezel is really nice & thin, the stand is heavy, feels good quality and is adjustable through a good range; you can rotate it 90º to portrait and it has a built in USB hub. The picture seems very nice & clear & crisp to me - I suspect it's pretty hard to buy a bad LCD these days, although I don't like the poor resolution (like 900 pixels high) of the cheap widescreens widely available these days. I assume you're aware that a 19" 4:3 monitor has a greater area than a 19" widescreen?

You can buy these new & warrantied for £275 (I think that's the "better" panel & that they had the other one cheaper last week). I don't know if I'd pay that myself (especially considering what I paid on eBay myself) but I think I was typically seeing £350 for 1600x1200 when I looked at other models new a couple of months ago. There are plenty on eBay which seem to have been opened once and then put back in the box.

Comment

I got a Dell SP2208WFP which has been pretty good, built in webcam DVI/HDMI and VGA

Got a refurb unit for £110 about 2 months ago

Comment

I am currently using this as an extension to my macbook:

Dell 22" E-ISP Panel

Can't fault it one bit, cheapest ISP panel you will find, TN panels are really not worth it. Although it does depend what you are using the monitor for.

Comment

Working...
        X