Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I get satellite TV, and how do I do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I get satellite TV, and how do I do it?

Not as easy as the question first appears!

I, for my sins, live in rural France, just north of Le Mans. I can't get conventional broadband, so use a satellite broadband, 2-way system that I got via the ISP Nordnet. It's fine, the latency cripples most online games, and peer to peer is blocked, but for general browsing, it's OK. The satellite dish (which seems quite large, it's not one of those small ones) is pointed to an Astra satellite. The stats from the satellite broadband modem thingy say:

Pointing Carrier 1
    Transport Mode: DVB-S2 (CCM)
    Frequency: 10.8912500 GHz
    Symbol Rate: 22.0000 MBaud
    DVB-S2 Roll-off Factor: 25 %
    Orbital Position: 23.5? East

When the guy installed it, I noticed he tested it by making sure he could get a TV signal, which suggests to me that that particular satellite must be beaming out TV signals too. However, I have some questions:

1) At the moment there is a single cable with an RX and TX wire that goes into the back of the satellite modem. If I wanted to branch off another wire to go to a device to decode the satellite signal, how would I do it?

2) What equipment do I actually need to decode the satellite signal - I am desperate to get the BBC channels and radio (I can stream them, but it eats up my tiny bandwidth allowance). Would I need to purchase a Sky Box or something? Would I be able to get BBC if I did?

Many thanks if you can help. French TV is bloody terrible.

You can use Sky in France but you will need a UK bank account. My friend used to live in Madrid had one.

Comment

You probably should be able to get Freesat. I believe it uses the same satellite as Sky so the signal should be decent. However a quick google indictates it's at 28.2 East.

Freesat basically gives you an expanded version of freeview and Freesat HD is currently trialling (the set top boxes for that are about £50 more expensive mind).

Comment

Edit: see post below. Seems to actually know what he's talking about.
        Last edited by charlesr; 06-05-2009, 10:01.

Comment

freesat is on Eurobird & Astra at 28.2 East http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html which is, as peeps have said the same as Sky).

You don't need to get another dish, if you can change the LNB on your current dish to a multi-LNB you can pick up more than 1 satellite, e.g. http://www.technisat.com/indexe4ef.h...=LNB,en,56-101 .

If you want to be able to pick up iTV HD or use the Red button for example you will need a freesat box.

Freesat is a good way to go as you only need to pay for the box, point your dish in the correct direction and know a UK postcode.

Comment

Thanks guys. You're right, after reading your replies I did some research - Astra 23.5 is no good for Freesat, the only TV signals it beams are German. Now I did German at school, but I'd rather have French TV than German TV believe me.

The solution will probably be a second satellite dish (or possibly a multiLNB thanks - I'll look into that) - and considering I had to sweet talk the missus for 3 months to get the first, looks like I'll be watching a badly dubbed version of House (or... Maison I suppose) for the forseeable future, unless I can do it with a single dish

Comment

May I ask what you are doing in France? I might be cycling through there in a month's time. Maybe I could pop in for some wine and cheese?

Comment

You probably need a big motorised satellite dish. Which can be used to look for various reception.

Comment

Originally posted by Legendary View Post
                  You probably need a big motorised satellite dish, so that people think you are a secret squirrel.
                  Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by ucci View Post
                    May I ask what you are doing in France? I might be cycling through there in a month's time. Maybe I could pop in for some wine and cheese?
                    I live here! I'm sort of retired/taking a career break/running a farm.

Our only entry policy is you have to be a blue NTSC-UK member, so get paid up, and feel free to drop in for a glass of Blue Nun and a Baby Bel.

Comment

That sounds amazing, remember in true Vonnegut style to tell yourself if this isn't good then what is? Ting-a-ling! I do it all the time.

Comment

What kind of farm ?

Comment

A sort of organic small-ish 20 acre job. To be honest I'm just getting to grips with it, but I must say driving a tractor is as much fun as I thought it would be.

Vonnegut.... weren't they the aliens in Half Life 2?

Comment

Working...
                          X