RGB problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RGB problem

I've just read the TV Guide but have got a quick question. The TV I am using supports 60Hz but not NTSC. I am trying to get the PS2 to display an RGB signal but am not having much luck.

1. The scart cable that I've got appears to have all of it's pins intact but does that guarantee that it is an RGB scart?

2. I'm thinking of getting the Blaze RGB cable anyway but I don't want to if it's possible that the root of the problem is the scart socket on the TV itself. Is this possible?

I must remember to check that the PS2 settings are set to RGB I'll check that out but I'm sure that it would be set to RGB.

1. No, they might not all be wired up.

2. Only if it doesn't support RGB (most TVs only will on one socket)

3. I think the PS2 outputs RGB automatically in games, it's only for DVDs that you choose YPrPb (component) vs RGB. I think.

C

Comment

You need to make sure the PS2 is set to RGB (this is the default), as this affects DVDs and Games as I had to set mine to YPrPb when I hooked it up via component or the picture was pink.

But I think its unlikely that this is the problem. Do you have anything else thats RGB enabled?

What sort of picture do you get?

Comment

Actually I think my DVD player is RGB but its somehow lost it's region free ability and I can't be arsed to find the code to enter again so I can't test any US DVDs.

The picture you get is stable just in black and white.

Comment

Originally posted by choddo
          I think the PS2 outputs RGB automatically in games, it's only for DVDs that you choose YPrPb (component) vs RGB. I think.
          Its definitely games too - when I bought a PS2 RGB scart cable, I thought I'd broken it, as GT3 was all green, until I found this had defaulted over to YCbCr for some bizarre reason.

Comment

do you know if your dvd player is outputing RGB? It would be useful to know if your TV is RGB compat. Whats the make and model?

It sounds like a RGB cable might solve your problem, but I wouldn't shell out any money until you know for sure.

by the way, I have a blaze RGB cable, ?7.5 inc PnP.

Comment

While we're checking things, make sure your DVD player is actually set to output RGB. Mine (Tosh SD220E) does fine, but only if I go into the system menu and tell it to; it was defaulted to composite when I bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by choddo
                1. No, they might not all be wired up.

2. Only if it doesn't support RGB (most TVs only will on one socket)

3. I think the PS2 outputs RGB automatically in games, it's only for DVDs that you choose YPrPb (component) vs RGB. I think.

C
                Why don't you open up the TV end of the Scart lead and check, (they are normally just clipped together, with a threaded bit where the cable comes out of it). Scart leads have 21 pins, (pin 21 being the plugs metal surround)...

[DISCLAIMER]
                DONT DO THIS WHILE ITS PLUGGED IN
                there shouldn't be anyhigh voltages going through the socket, but touching be pins could have nasty effects on you equipment
                [/DISCLAIMER]

[EDIT]
                Can't get diagram displaying correctly, click on QUOTE and it should appear in the correct alignment in the editor
                [/EDIT]

If this is the view of the back of it,

Audio
                C b S L g R
                v v v v vv
                -------------------------
                \ | | | | | | | | | | | |
                | | | | | | | | | | | | |
                -------------------------
                ^^^^^^
                Rg Gg Bg

Audio is connected at top right, (usually 3 leads, Left, Gground and Right).

RGB is connected at bottom left (3 leads, plus 1 for ground)

Compsite Video is top Left (C = composite, b = blanking)

In centre on the Top row is the Signal Pull line , which controls the TV automatic switchint to the AV channel and screen ratio

Full pin outs can be found here http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/

Comment

Excuse my ignorance if this sounds daft, but isn't it the case that PAL 60hz PS2 games produce an NTSC signal, and if his TV is not NTSC compatible, then it won't display the picture properly?

Comment

Yes and no.

The no is because a 60Hz picture through RGB is just that, no NTSC or PAL involved - the two signal definitions are to do with how colour is encoded on composite or s-video signals.

So you can do it, but only on RGB (or component). Anything less and the TV won't find the colour signal, hence the black and white image.

Comment

Right, I see

Comment

I bought an RGB scart for the ps1 from Game for ?2.99 - I only knew it might be RGB because it said on the back, in every language EXCEPT English. I almost put it back, and then saw RVB, in French, and thought, only lose ?3 if im wrong.

Amazing picture, WICKED!

Comment

OK everyone thanks for the advice. I bought another Scart cable yesterday and tried it on VF4E and it worked beautifully it was the cable that was the problem.

We should start an awareness campaign to tell people that not all cables that claim they are RGB are telling the truth!

Comment

Working...
                          X