LCD Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD Problem

I've had a 23" Phillips LCD for almost four years now. Up until about a month ago, never had a problem with it. HOwever since then, I've experienced problems in regards tp the picture. Basically, the screen is now black, but I have no idea what the problem is. I can't see any of the menus, and no picture whatsoever. The sound is still there though!

I've tried feeding a signal in through various sources, such as the VGA and the second scart, but to no avail. The first time it happened, I removed the power cable and that resolved it. But that no longer appears to work. I did notice before it conked out over the weekend, that there seemed to be strange kind of lines apparent when the picture was there. Almost some kind of interference in line with any body shapes on the TV.

Anyway I'm guessing it's the backlight, but have no defintie proof.
    If anyone might be able to shed some light/advise I'd appreciate it.

I'd say the back light has gone too, don't know what it would cost to repair but its probably better to replace with a new set since prices are much less now a days (also don't buy a Phillips).

Comment

It could also be the inverter that generates the high voltage for the CCFL backlight(s). Normally when it fails, the whole LCD panel has to be replaced, as the manufacturers seem unwilling to provide just the inverter board
      This usually results in an uneconomical repair. The other option is finding one with a damaged screen and swapping out the inverter/ backlight assembly, but it's a long-shot really.

Comment

If the backlight has gone, you'll be able to make out very faint images on screen if you shine a strong light near the TV. Oldgamingfart's suggestion is more likely, I think.

Interestingly, I just replaced my dad's 23" Philips TV from 2003 (a piece of crap) with a Samsung LE40B550. If you have the cash, I'd use this as an excuse to upgrade

Comment

A friend had exactly the same bother with a similar Philips set. It was going to cost more to repair than the set actually cost in the first place. Time to upgrade I think.

Comment

Cheers all. I've not even bothered looking into it since I posted as I kind of figured I may as well look into investing into a new telly. In the meantime, It's a total bugger playing Resident Evil 4 in the dark. Perhaps that was how it was meant to be played, to provide maximum thrills you understand!

Comment

Working...
            X