Modded US Cube/S-Video problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modded US Cube/S-Video problem

Had a wee look, but can't find the answer to this previously. Apologies if it's already been covered. Oh, and excuse my noob AV terminology below.

I recently had my US Gamecube modded with a switch to play Japanese games. Before modding I used an S-Video lead and the red/white stereo connectors for vision/sound.

Since modding, I've found that the S-Video lead no longer gives me a picture - just a black screen. In order to get a picture, I have to remove the S-Video plug and use the yellow (composite?) connector instead. Sound is unaffected.

Is this normal, or is my S-Video lead poked? I'm struggling to see the link between action and reaction here.

Where did you have it modded?

Sounds like the mod might have caused the problem.... Although it's a simple mod the horror stories are endless.

Have you an N64 or or have another cube to test the cable on?

Comment

Originally posted by eASY aDDICT
      Where did you have it modded?

Sounds like the mod might have caused the problem.... Although it's a simple mod the horror stories are endless.

Have you an N64 or or have another cube to test the cable on?

I have a PAL N64, which I guess I can try it on - assuming it'll work OK with S-Video..?

Comment

Originally posted by PinkMoon
        I have a PAL N64, which I guess I can try it on - assuming it'll work OK with S-Video..?
        Yes, S-Video should work on a PAL N64 but doesn't work on a PAL GC strangely enough............

Comment

as long as its not one of the last N64s, all of the "limited" coloured N64s had the s-video support taken out of them. ft:

Comment

Originally posted by tankplanker
            as long as its not one of the last N64s, all of the "limited" coloured N64s had the s-video support taken out of them. ft:
            ft:

Comment

Originally posted by CFS Dubois
              Yes, S-Video should work on a PAL N64 but doesn't work on a PAL GC strangely enough............
              That's because Nintendo sacrificed that functionality to give PAL owners RGB support instead...
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I'm not convinced. My Super Famicom has composite video, s video and RGB.

Nintendo sacrificed s-video because they're miserly.

Comment

That's because Nintendo sacrificed that functionality to give PAL owners RGB support instead...
                  It's ****e really isn't it? Xbox and PS2 output everything you need but Nintendo can't manage to do it for Gamecube?

I wonder how much money this saved/cost them per unit?

Comment

About the S-Vid and N64 ...

I got all excited when I got an S-vid cable for my US GC, because I'd assumably be able to use it with my (fairly old) N64 ... but the results were actually pretty bad ... colours were all washed out, and on the whole, regular AV looked better -

Is this problem with the cable or what ? Works fine with the GC though ...

S.

Comment

my pal N64 looks better with s-video...

Comment

u cant use GC s-video cables with n64's at least not properly. N64 svid cables have a resistor on a particular line wheras gamecube ones dont, without the resistor the output is too high and so it looks terribly washed out. You can either get a proper n64 one or google for the details of this resistor and mod your gamecube one.

Comment

Thanks for that bit of advice ! I'll be looking into that ...

S.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddo
                            u cant use GC s-video cables with n64's at least not properly. N64 svid cables have a resistor on a particular line wheras gamecube ones dont, without the resistor the output is too high and so it looks terribly washed out. You can either get a proper n64 one or google for the details of this resistor and mod your gamecube one.
                            That must depend on the cable.

I use the same S-Video cable that i use on my GC on my N64 too. The picture from both is as good as you can get from S-Video. Infact its only slightly worse than RGB on the Cube.

Comment

Working...
                            X