Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stepdown for XRGB-3

Just ordered an XRGB-3.

For imports I've always had PAL machines with modchips rather than buying foreign consoles, so I'm totally new to stepdown converters.

I read the FAQ on this site, so I think I now know what's required, but can someone tell me how many watts I'll need?

Just found this site through Google...

UK Manufacturer, retailer & wholesaler of toroidal transformer products including voltage converters, boating transformers & conditioning balance supply

I presume that's the kind of thing I want? Or would anyone recommend buying from somewhere different?

Oh...and I presume VA = watts?

Thanks!

No, you'll just need to buy a UK transformer with the same output as the JPN one you'll get with it. It'll most likely be 9v, so a Mega Drive PSU may suffice.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
      Oh...and I presume VA = watts?
      Nope, Volt Ampere.
      I'm using a 100 watt stepdown for my XRGB-3, it's overkill, but it works fine. The power supply outputs 11v at 2A and accepts both 50 and 60hz, and a 100-120v range as input, so any decent stepdown will do the work. Once I get home I'll take a look at the supply unit and post the whole label, I'm relying on memory and net data.

Comment

Resurrecting this thread to ask if there's a UK-equivalent power supply for the XRGB-3, as I'd like to avoid using a stepdown where possible. Does anybody have any ideas? I've had a peep at Maplin's website but I can't find anything that matches a DC11V/2A output on there.

Comment

I too am interested, unless my 2+ PSU is different. Stepdowns are pretty annoying.

Comment

You have to be a bit careful with step-down transformers. Some of the cheaper ones rated at 100v actually give out 125v, which causes overheating (and potential fire risk) with Japanese (wall type) PSU's.

Wherever possible, it's always best to use a native UK spec PSU, just observe the correct polarity etc.

Comment

Working...
            X