Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone recommend a DVB-T USB TVtuner that will work with a Linux powered netbook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone recommend a DVB-T USB TVtuner that will work with a Linux powered netbook?

As title really, can anyone help please?

Many thanks

Dan
    Last edited by funkydan; 20-07-2009, 09:05.

I guess not!

While I'm here, is there anyway to get .avi files to play on the linpus Linux OS on my Acer Aspire One.

Or am I flogging a dead horse here? Should I just install XP and have done with it?

Comment

List of supported DVB-T devices here

Never tried Linpus but it looks like it's one of of those netbook Linux OS's where everything is restricted including installing things, to install the codecs for avi's you'll have to follow this guide here to access the unrestricted mode.

Laptop Mag reviews and benchmarks the latest laptops, tablets and 2-in-1s; takes you hands-on with new products; and helps you save time with smart tips.

Once you get to step 5 do a search for win32 or w32codecs and you should see something with a description for windows codecs, at least thats how it is with my Linux Mint OS, tick that and apply, you should then be able to play them.

EDIT: A bit more reading around suggests that the media player that Aspire have shipped with it is a bit arse, so if the above doesn't work you may want to install VLC instead which rather helpfully Aspire haven't included in the package manager so you will have to install it manually, follow everything up to step 5 then open a terminal again and type

su
      (Then hit enter and type your root password that you setup earlier followed by enter again)
      rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-7.rpm
      yum install vlc
      yum install python-vlc mozilla-vlc

That should install the VLC media player along with all codecs.

God knows why they restrict the OS, if it was a standard Linux OS all this stuff would be included or easy enough to go into the application manager and install, certainly doesn't make it easy for people using the OS for the first time.
      Last edited by Phar; 22-07-2009, 10:53.

Comment

Thanks for this mate! I had no idea the OS would be so restrictive. I'll try what you suggest later today I think, cheers

Comment

Have you seen the website TVCatchup? Found it the other day and it's a lifesaver at the mo because we've got the builders in and I had no way of connecting a TV decoder to my TV/monitor.

I think it's just flash, so it should run on Linux, depending on how much grunt you've got going spare.
          Last edited by egparadigm; 22-07-2009, 11:37.

Comment

Working...
          X